PDA

View Full Version : taps not working like they did when i 1st drilled them

Jonl
03-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Hi I am new and have 6 taps in south jersey. when I 1st drilled them it was before this really cold snap (about 3 weeks ago) and they where producing about 2 to 3 gallons a day per tap now 4 of the taps are doing nothing and 2 are really slow and the season is really picking up. ever night it will be freezing and the days will be warm. Should i just re drill the same holes? Any help will be greatly appreciated

PerryW
03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Unless your holes were drilled more than 5-6 weeks ago, I doubt the holes have dried-up. I suspect you just need warmer weather to get things flowing again. Usually after an extreme cold snap, the trees will require higher than normal temperatures to start running again.

It's usually a bad idea to redrill the holes as it stresses the trees.

Jonl
03-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Thank you for the info

Cape tapper
03-03-2015, 06:50 AM
Jonl - where in South Jersey are you? I'm down in the Cape May Court House area. My first year also. I have 20 taps in some big red maples. I tapped them last weekend on the warm Sunday and ended up with a few gallons. I boiled it down and got my first syrup. After that quick run, they stopped flowing here also in the cold. Hoping it picks up today and tomorrow.

Jonl
03-03-2015, 08:51 AM
hey I am in Mullica hill i tapped my 4 trees just before the big freeze i also did a small batch and got some great syurp good luck

5050racing
03-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Up here in West portal north jersey nothing yet,next week 40s n 20s will be busy then!

Cape tapper
03-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Yup, hoping for a little flow the next few days. I used to have a bunch of family in Mullica Hill. The syrup I made was delicious. I can tell this hobby is going to suit me - just like beekeeping. That gets addictive, too. Good luck!

Jonl
03-03-2015, 12:45 PM
yep i do the beekeeping thing too going to look for more trees next year and am making a sap boiler too will post pics when i am finnished