PDA

View Full Version : is it going to ever thaw in CNY

ddvm5654
03-01-2015, 08:57 PM
im wondering how the other people of central new york are holding up. I have 4 feet of snow in back yard and ground is frozen so deep the water pipes are frozen. i am new to this my third year but dont expect sap to flow any time soon. let me know what you all think.

Bentley Wood Maple
03-02-2015, 04:03 AM
3ft of snow in the woods but it came late , January and February. Concerned about frost depth. Weather looks promising for this coming weekend. Working on getting everything ready to go then just waiting on the weather

mudr
03-02-2015, 05:38 AM
im wondering how the other people of central new york are holding up. I have 4 feet of snow in back yard and ground is frozen so deep the water pipes are frozen. i am new to this my third year but dont expect sap to flow any time soon. let me know what you all think.

I hear you. my first year this year and I'm afraid it will be a bust. Hung the 16 bags around my house yesterday but can't get to my woods 1/2 mile back. The snow is knee deep (and I'm 6-4). The four wheeler can't get through it and my father's tractor, deere 3010 with loader, blew it's hydraulic pump this winter and went out on a trailer yesterday. I have 24 taps in the woods, but won't be able to get to them until early April probably, when my wife goes into labor with our second sap hauler.

BristolHills
03-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Still 3 to 4 feet of snow in the Bristol Hills. When it does warm up we might be more worried about water than sap!!!!

maple flats
03-02-2015, 09:39 AM
I have 3-3.5" of snow in the woods. It will warm. The current long range forecast shows a slow warm up, hopefully it is accurate. The sap will run, a slow warm up will yield a decent season, but a fast warm up will give us a short season. On our side, the frost went deep before the snow hit and that generally keeps the trees cooler for a longer season. Let's hope that follows this year.

seclark
03-02-2015, 09:47 AM
I want to know if it will ever stop snowing as well as thawing.It seems all I do is clear the deck and driveway and wait for the next storm.

wildwood
03-02-2015, 12:08 PM
My snowmobile is old, had to break trail on snowshoes this weekend before it could go anywhere to get taps out. I hope you are having fun that is what it is all about!!

dblact38
03-02-2015, 12:55 PM
3 feet of snow, had to snowshoe to get to the trees. keep on shoveling out the shed where I keep my maple supplies. Then had to shovel holes next to each tree to put my 5gal jugs in. To top it all off, both my little guys were to sick to help tap. But, looking forward to collect the sap if we ever get a good run Goodluck everyone

DaveB
03-02-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm in the same situation snow and cold wise over here in eastern CT. The dip in the jet stream looks to relax next week so I think we won't see any long term deep cold after that. Like others have said, hopefully it's a slow warm-up. I've been trying to get some snow shoes but everyone seems to be out so I've been breaking trails including clearing a path to my pumping station. I've also got everything ready around the sugar house so I guess I've just been using the time to get ready instead of trying to do everything at once.

sugarman3
03-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Looking at the middle of March,tree's are frozen pretty solid since we had no jan/feb thaw,frost in ground in woods about 6 in deep with 48 in snow measured sat in bush,it's going to be tough tapping,but got to do it.