PDA

View Full Version : Stack height too tall?

mhovey
03-01-2015, 06:41 PM
I know that the stack height must be at least twice the length of the arch but can it be too tall? I am boiling on a homemade 275 gal oil drum setup which is about 5ft long. I am using 9ft of stone lined woodstove pipe through the roof and then another 5ft section of galvanized on top of that. Is this too long? Is there disadvantages to having a stack that is too tall?

Thanks for the help!

maple flats
03-01-2015, 06:52 PM
That is fine. While too tall is likely possible, 14' on a 5' stove is not too tall.

Russell Lampron
03-01-2015, 07:15 PM
You'll get a better draft with a taller stack. I have a 17' stack on my 2x6 and it has never been a problem.

Ausable
03-01-2015, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=mhovey;269386]I know that the stack height must be at least twice the length of the arch but can it be too tall? I am boiling on a homemade 275 gal oil drum setup which is about 5ft long. I am using 9ft of stone lined woodstove pipe through the roof and then another 5ft section of galvanized on top of that. Is this too long? Is there disadvantages to having a stack that is too tall?

Thanks for the help![/QUOTE

You should be ok. But You mention You have stone lined woodstove pipe. My Sugar Shack is cold when first starting a boil - If Yours is too - You have to be patient till things warm up - before You start to get a good draft going in the arch.

mhovey
03-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys!

Mike, My sugar shack did take a while to heat up. I think the steam helped the most. I was boiling and I could still hold my hand on the stone lined pipe! The only reason I used stoned lined was so the rafters and roof wouldn't catch fire. I guess its doing its job!