PDA

View Full Version : Moving Snow

Saltlick
02-24-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm a new member. And fairly new syrup producer. I tap about 100 trees. My problem is getting to the trees first thing in the spring. My trees are about 1 mile from my sugar house, thru a meadow, then another 1/2 mile downhill thru woods on a logging road. Hilly country. I have a John Deere 770, 4 Wheel drive, with back blade to move snow. Which right now is between 12 and 20 inches. Its tough on the tractor and back blade, trying to plow a trail so I can get to my sugar bush. This has been an annual problem, except for a couple of years. My first instinct is to wait til the snow melts. But I haven't done that so far. My second instinct is to purchase either a front end loader, or a rear end snow blower. Both of which are sizable investments , for just sugar making( probably the frontend loader would be used for many other things). But I'm willing to do it, but I want to do the right thing. Please, any advise, would be most appreciated.

Al
02-24-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi Saltlick, I have a NH1720 28 horse tractor 4WD tractor with front loader. It works but you have to remember to take your time. The other night after 2 hours of moving snow I was about ready to: A) get a bigger tractor. B) go get my neighbor and his log skidder. The only problem with that is what a mess he makes. So common sense took over and I just plug along. It took me an hour and half to do a 200 feet/12ft wide.
I'd be afraid of a snowblower only that you can really do some damage if a rock gets in there even with a shear bolt in place. The nice thing about a snowblower is no snow banks.
Good luck!!!!

michaelh05478
02-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi Saltlik, If possible how about building a sugar house by the bush???? Rough cut lumber is cheaper than a new loader or a snowbkower.....Just a thought.......

saphead
02-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Hi Saltlick.Your situation reminds of the sugarhouse I worked at for about 15 years. It too was about a mile out;though the woods,across a side hill pasture above a 27 acre pond,across a dam,pasture and finally the sugarhouse! All we had was a couple of old 8n's and 2 willys jeeps,one had a plow. One year we had 2 feet on top of a thick crust and another 16 inches below. We were young bucks then ,so with 2 snowblowers we blew out two wheel tracks on top of the crust,broke through the rest with the tractor,then plowed with the jeep! It took all weekend. I think a loader is a wise investment, multi use attachment with many uses. One thing you may want to consider is to keep your road open all winter if you have the time. After the snow accumulates a little just drive the road with the bucket up a bit,let the bucket fill with snow for added weight on your front end drive axle,and go. You'll get the hang of when to raise and lower the bucket and push off to the side. Remember, it takes weight to move weight, so add a rear counter weight but don't over do it or you'll be replacing rear axle seals and bearings. Good luck "breakin' roads"