PDA

View Full Version : My second year /With tubing vac . tap holes frozen no flow question below.

Locust Farms
03-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Will tap holes thaw faster with metal spouts than with plastic? New trees tapped was flowing slow while previously tapped were not.
pulled one of those taps & discovered hole was frozen solid. temperature was 40+ degrees, tubing was not frozen . sap not backed up in tubing 5/16"
Any ideas from any one ? Thanks sure a great forum.

Dwight

Russell Lampron
03-01-2015, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure about the metal vs. plastic spouts. One thought on the frozen taps is that maybe it was a cloudy day and the trees just didn't get warm enough to thaw the ice in the tap hole. The trees will get pretty warm even on a cold day in the direct sun. I've had sap running at 28* here from taps that had been in for awhile.

Sugarmaker
03-01-2015, 08:42 AM
Wooden spiles were used for years with wooden troughs at the base of the trees. Metal splies were used for years with buckets. New spouts are mostly plastic, there are some stainless ones out there too. Dont over think this:). When the trees are thawed out they will run for sure. Difference in spout type might mean several minutes difference if any?
Hope your season is good!
New drilled holes will generally have a little dripage even when cold.
Your doing good! keep at it!
Regards,
Chris

Locust Farms
03-05-2015, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Tap holes finally thawed after being frozen for 19 days . Got a decent run last two days.

Dwight

Sugarmaker
03-05-2015, 07:02 AM
There you go, now the fun starts!
Hope your season is good.
Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
03-05-2015, 08:11 AM
...temperature was 40+ degrees, tubing was not frozen . sap not backed up in tubing 5/16"

Air temperature can change fairly quickly, but trees are like big blocks of ice...they are somewhat buffered and it can take a while for them to thaw out, especially if the temperature is fairly cold at night. At times, particularly early in the season, the south side may thaw out and run and the north not, and then in the latter part of the season taps on the south may be dried out, but the north side is still running.