PDA

View Full Version : Boiling on a drop flue pan.

brikel
02-28-2015, 08:56 PM
I have built a new evaporator this year. I had a drop flue pan built custom to fit the evaporator (30" x 48"). I have the chamber under the pan lined with ceramic blanket on the sides and bottom. the fire box is lined with ceramic board and fire brick. I did a test boil today. I had 27 gallons of cold water boiling hard with geysers in ten minutes. I was happy with the test but it seemed like the most intense boiling was in the front of the pan towards the firebox which makes sense being that is where the fire is the hottest. Is this normal or is there something I need to adjust? This is my first time boiling with a set up like this.

Sugarmaker
03-01-2015, 07:38 AM
That sounds about right. They tend to boil in the front near the fire the most. I have to ask, are there going to be pan/s on the front lower part of the fire box too? If so do you have something to regulate the flow to the front pans? Typically a float box would be used to make sure you had sap in both pans.
Regards,
Chris

brikel
03-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Yes Chris, there is a pan on the front lower part. I have a valve to control the flow for right now plan to add the float box next year. I will have to keep an eye on the levels. it sure did boil yesterday though going to need a lot of sap. thanks for replying.

Sugarmaker
03-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Yep you will just have to keep a very close eye on the levels controlling the sap from the flue to the front pan. Also keep a 5 gallon bucket of sap setting next to the rig just in case. That flow from the rear to the front won't be enough if you have a low sap condition requiring sap immediately.
Are you batching the syrup in the front pan? Seems that is about how you would have to do it? Which will work ok. Show us a picture with the front pan and draw off and connection to rear pan too please.
Regards,
Chris

brikel
03-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Chris, here is a picture of the front of my rig. You can see the valve on the back pan. It is on the right hand side right above the front lower pan. The valve on the lower pan is where I will draw off syrup. Not sure I understand your comment about having sap in a bucket to add to the back pan. I plan on rigging up a pre heater and have the preheated sap continuously flowin the front of my drop flue pan if you think it will work.