PDA

View Full Version : Feb 28 Late tapping in eastern Ohio

SevenCreeksSap
02-28-2015, 07:14 PM
The weather has just not been cooperating here, been too cold to run. this is two weeks later than my average start around Feb 14. I did finally finish up getting some taps in today, and this week is looking good for some sap. finally the temps where we need them. I'm cutting way back this year from growing the last few years. had around 190 last year, which seemed like a lot of longer boils, and this year just have one string of 55 taps in. Had some job changes so time is becoming an issue. we'll still make enough for us and some relatives, but not going to try to sell any at the farmers market this year.

Looking good this week Ohio, good luck with some sap finally.

SevenCreeksSap
03-14-2015, 11:25 AM
wow, due to work, fewer taps, and cold weather, I just finally gathered enough sap this past week to have a first boil on friday March 13, way later than any other year I've been doing this. dropping tap numbers had to freeze some sap and wait until I had enough after the good runs this week to fill the pans and make it worth it. Boiled off about 80 gallons so at least a start, good to get back into the rythym of feeding the fire.