PDA

View Full Version : Taps per drop.

Worcester
02-28-2015, 09:53 AM
Ok
i put my first lines up last year.
I did one drop per tap, not sure why.

I see in the north american maple syrup producers manual that they make up 3 tap harnesses.
Is it ok to have one T into the lateral line and then put two or three taps together into one drop?
or does each tap need to go from tree to lateral line?

I am about to put in 120 3/16 taps this weekend and should probably know this first!
Thanks.

maple flats
02-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Sometimes when a producer is putting 2 or 3 taps on a tree and going to a collection vessel (jug/bucket etc) a 2 or 3 tap harness will be used, but even then each has it's own drop. I.E. end tap/drop, connects to a tee. One leg of the tee goes up to another tap (this is a drop) and the other leg flows down hill. If a third tap is added, it is done the same. As such, each tap has a drop and the tees are part of the lateral. The lateral flows to the collection vessel.

wiam
02-28-2015, 10:46 AM
I say each drop should have its own T into the lateral. If you have a 2 tap tree you want them coming off the lateral as far apart as possible to give the most tapping area on the tree.

DrTimPerkins
02-28-2015, 01:25 PM
I see in the north american maple syrup producers manual that they make up 3 tap harnesses.

What version of the North American Manual are you looking at?

Worcester
03-01-2015, 03:17 PM
not sure, I am online at the library now, the book is at home.

They picture it twice.
once on a tree and once is a picture of a "two tap harness" and a "three tap harness" side by side
They also show a vented tubing line in this manual but mention there is no science to back up claims for use.

What they show is one T that comes off the lateral line and then using two more T fittings they fit together three taps (each with a length of drop line) into one T fitting at the lateral line.

I find this appealing because it is fewer cuts to the lateral line.
Is it six one way or half dozen another?
or is the manual outdated?

wiam
03-01-2015, 05:02 PM
I have not seen that in a system installed lately.

DrTimPerkins
03-01-2015, 06:55 PM
....or is the manual outdated?

Yes, that manual is extremely outdated. Latest is the 2006 edition. New version planned for fall 2016.

Worcester
03-02-2015, 09:57 AM
1996 to be exact!
Things were different then, I was only 7, but still had enough of an interest in maple and fire to get me here today.

So why is this not done any more? Do the taps impeade the flow of one another into the lateral line?

obviously I would love to do half the tubing tool work indoors, but not if it will be at the expense of flow.

wiam
03-02-2015, 10:11 AM
If the taps are separated on the lateral there is a larger area of the tree that can be tapped.