PDA

View Full Version : My Smokey Lake 2X5 Hybrid just came today!

Marvel26
02-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Wow...I have seen pictures but when you uncrate your very own SL pan it's kinda like opening the holy grail. I think it was actually emitting its own light!

.....to quote my daughter, "It's SOoooo PRETTY!"

My problem now is that I'm away for work till next Thursday so I'll be absolutely beside myself until I can do a test boil!

If only mother nature would leave the door on the deep freeze open a crack the syrup will be pouring out of this thing.....I hope ;-)

Sugarmaker
02-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Congratulations! You should have many hours of boiling enjoyment from that new pan!
Regards,
Chris

fisheatingbagel
02-28-2015, 07:24 AM
I have a new 2x5 SL this year, also. Built my own arch. Did you build your arch or buy? I managed 3 boils before the big freeze up, and it worked great. My biggest problem is I need more sap!

They are works of art :-)

mike z
02-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah, a guy should really be buying 2 of these Smoky Lake sets at a time; one for boiling, the other for looking at. They perform as good as they look too. Congrats!

maple flats
02-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Now I suppose you want some sap! congratulations.

Marvel26
02-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Fisheatingbagel,

I built mine as well. oil tank mod. I hesitate putting pictures up as I welded it....

Prior to welding this tank into an arch I had zero experience welding. It was a lot of fun, frustrating to get the arc going but fun. Hence my hesitation in exposing my abilities online ;-)

Sap would be good.....I have holding capacity for 450 gal with an option for more (10 - 45 gal barrels) but we shall see if I need it. If this piece of art works as well as it looks I may just have to drive the sap past it to make syrup!

Rob

1tapattack
02-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Yeah, a guy should really be buying 2 of these Smoky Lake sets at a time; one for boiling, the other for looking at. They perform as good as they look too. Congrats!
this could probably be said with any new pan set to a new buyer

fisheatingbagel
03-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Hi Marvel26,
As long as it works, that's all that matters! Everything I've done with this hobby has been a learning experience ;-)

Marvel26
04-06-2015, 06:25 PM
I just sweetened my pan for the first time! I only had 80 gallons of sap which just about sweetened the pan....we won't go into the 103 taps producing zilch in the last week.

I have a lot to learn about firing etc but I had a bubbles at 4min in and small geysers at 20min (I lost the boil a few times due to improper firing with crap wood) I never did get geysers throughout the flue pan and my front pan has a dead spot due to arch sizing....homemade oil tank arch, but overall a good day. I just wish the sap would flow.

Oh and to top it all off my hydrometer cracked as soon as it touched hot sap

And yes....I would like some cheese to go with my whine lol