PDA

View Full Version : 3/4" mainline saddle hole sizes

Ren
02-27-2015, 09:13 AM
This will be my first year using a 3/4" mainline (black poly water pipe)and have a few questions.
I have purchased some of D&G's new 3/16 saddles, but I can not find any info on what size hole they require in the mainline for installation. I also have some CDL max seal saddles that I was planning on using. They require a hole diameter of 31/64. That seems like a huge hole to be putting in a 3/4 mainline. Has anyone had any problems with leaks using these in a 3/4" black poly? I was watching the Rapitube video and they were saying that you should not drill a hole larger than 5/16 in there 3/4 mainline, as to prevent weakening of the mainline.
What saddles are you guys who run 3/4 black poly using?

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-27-2015, 11:36 AM
The D&G saddles for 3/16" tubing require a 31/64" hole. The rubber gasket for those actually goes through the hole into the inside of the mainline so as to seal the inside and outside. I have used them on D&G's blue mainline and they work well. They would work on black as well. Be sure to wire tie both sides.
Neil

VT_K9
02-27-2015, 11:54 AM
We use the max flow and max seal saddles from CDL with the bolt kits. We had no problems on a sap puller. This year we will have a regular vacuum system. The hole size seems fine. There was a post last year or in my searches with concerns about the hole stretching if under too much tension, but I think Tha was a concern in general about saddles. I'll keep using them.

Mike

Ren
02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
I kind of thought that the D&G saddles were going to be 31/64" just by looking at the gasket. I just couldn't find anything saying that in their catalogue or online. My plan is to try both but I like the looks of the locking bolt better on the max seal. Instead of wire tying does anybody ever use hose clamps? I have a surplus of them and it would seem to me that they would work just fine.