PDA

View Full Version : tubing tool

The Butcher
02-26-2015, 07:02 PM
I know this is a long shot.....but my hands are saying it is worth a try......

I am going to dabble with some tubing for the first time this year.

I am going to do 2 short runs with 5/16 tubing. This is about all I have with enough slope for gravity..

So.... I was wondering if there is someone close by that wouldn't mind letting me borrow their tubing tools.

I made a couple drops today....not fun!

Those tools are big bucks!! I am going to make a homemade rig, but I am waiting...and waiting...and waiting on a friend with a welder.

Thanks guys!!

Jared

eustis22
02-27-2015, 12:09 PM
I went to a CDL lecture at Slattery's Maple Supply up in maine and they said you could get a better vacuum using 3/16 tubing...apparently the narrower tube allows you to get good vacuum w/o artificial means. It's too late for me to try that on my little hill but you might consider that.

SWEETSAP
02-27-2015, 10:55 PM
You could do it all without tubing tools if you are only doing a couple of runs. Bring some real hot water to the site and soak the ends before pushing onto fittings, works pretty good. Alternate scheme is to use several hand warmer packs to warm up the tubing ends. Use one pack per end to warm multiple ends at a time. The tools don't even work that great when the tubing temp is below 10 deg f. We have been using the tools for over six years now.

backyardboy
03-05-2015, 07:22 PM
A propane torch works great if you're careful. That's all I've used on my 100 or so taps on tubing.

mtcrumpit
03-07-2015, 05:01 AM
Let me know if you still need the tools. I go to Nashua every day and would be willing to help . Call me. Three 2 five. 5 nine zero zero

optionguru
03-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I premake all my drops in the house with hot water then when I put the t's in out in the woods I use the propane torch, works great if you don't over do it.

maple flats
03-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Hot water is far safer than heating with a propane torch. If heated too much the end of the tubing is ruined, and the timing between just right and too hot is very little.