PDA

View Full Version : Canadian exchange rate?

Dill
02-24-2015, 12:39 PM
So suddenly those of us in the states are seeing very positive exchange rates for Canada, last week was 80%. I just bought a used round baler from a dealer up in Quebec and it was like an instant rebate for 20% off. Not to mention the dealer was really happy for the business. That being said can we expect the same kind of deal from the maple industry? I'm hoping to build and equip a sugarhouse for the 16 season.

TerryEspo
02-24-2015, 01:40 PM
That is great you saved a few dollars by shopping around. I am shocked though, as I live in a border town and find Michigan has better prices on 99% of everything I hope to buy.
Yes, there are exceptions to every rule but.

Most parts for all my toys (atv, snowmachine, camper) are USA ordered or Ebay, Walmart USA sure beats Walmart Canada, hunting supplies, gasoline, most everything I can think of.

Great you found a deal on this side of the border, it gives me hope, lol.:lol:

Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Pibster
02-24-2015, 02:42 PM
I find that maple equipment made in Canada is usually around the same price as equipment made in the USA. But once you factor in low Canadian dollar, it makes it too expensive to shop south of the border. However, Americans can get a sweet deal up north with their dollar trading well above par. I'm glad that I bought my Smokey Lake pan last year before our dollar tanked.

maplwrks
02-24-2015, 02:45 PM
The same dollar that you say is a great deal for buying equipment and such across the border is also killing our syrup prices here in the states!

Bruce L
02-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Glad we got our new evaporator from Leader years ago, also purchased a Highlander this summer in Syracuse,New York, saved approximately $10000.00 compared to the same unit here in Canada, even factoring in exchange. Now it is too expensive with the exchange the way it is unless it is one heck of a deal.

Dill
02-27-2015, 06:12 PM
My father in law works for a uranium exploration company up in the Northwest Territories. 3weeks up there, 2 back down here. He's darn glad that he's paid in USD not Canadian.It doesn't hit us too hard on syrup prices cause its almost all retail in the area.