PDA

View Full Version : hood queen

diesel79james
02-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Does the steam stack have to be in the middle of the hood or can it be in the front or back?

Pibster
02-23-2015, 01:55 PM
Mine is in the middle but I doubt that it makes any difference. As long as the stack is drawing.

Merklin Maples
02-23-2015, 02:01 PM
I have mine in the front and it works fine.

diesel79james
02-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Thank you for replying to my post I thought that was the case I guess I was looking for another person's opinion

maple flats
02-23-2015, 03:59 PM
It make no difference, I have 2 hoods, the syrup pan hood has a rear mounted stack and the flues pan hood is front mounted. Just make sure the stack is properly sized. My 3x3 and my 3x5 hoods both have 15" stacks from the factory, but the flues hood stack has a lockable damper in it.

ennismaple
02-24-2015, 01:09 PM
In theory, having the stack in the middle will mean the steam has to travel less distance to get up and out. If you have it at one end you might get more steam that condenses and falls into the pre-heater drip tray. It likely doesn't make an appreciable difference unless you have a huge steam hood.

Ours is 10 feet long and is more or less in the middle. The stack location was cut in after the evaporator was in place so it would fit between the rafters.

Sugarmaker
02-24-2015, 01:28 PM
See ennis is smart, he cut the hole after he trial fit the hood! Mine is a foot forward from centered due to forgetting about running it straight up between the rafters. When I built the hood the sugarhouse did not exist.
Offset should work just fine for you.
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
And mine were put in at the factory, I bought a demo set with minor signs of wear, then I moved the syrup hood stack about 1 ft. to the back end to better go between joists, and I moved the flues hood stack forward about 8" for the same reason.

ennismaple
02-25-2015, 01:01 PM
See ennis is smart

It's a short list of things we've done that would be considered smart! Most others are classified as experience that was learned the hard way!