PDA

View Full Version : How do you plan to get around?

sams64
02-23-2015, 08:07 AM
I need to start getting things ready, but, I have no idea how I will get to my trees (all buckets) or even my evaporator. Snow is a good 3' deep after compaction with drifts as high as 5' in my yard. There is no chance of walking, even with snow shoes. Would it be worth seing if I could get someone with a snowmobile to come and groom some trails for me?

sam

eustis22
02-23-2015, 09:11 AM
I think there's too much snow for sleds....I snowshoed to my trees and then my neighbor ran his sled over my tracks to compress it even more....so maybe try that.

Also, my old tapholes are less than a foot above the snow so I am assuming I have to dig out for my buckets.

sams64
02-23-2015, 10:06 AM
I'm pretty sure my snow is too deep for snow shoes, but, I have a pair so I'll give it a try. I guess I can drag stuff on the jet sled to make things a little easier.

Sam

maple flats
02-23-2015, 11:08 AM
It is very seldom that snow is too deep for snowshoes. For that to happen it will need to be very fluffy and deep. It does at times however require extra effort to open the trail. Then each time you repeat going on that trail it gets much better, usually only requires 2 passes max. That being said, it is best done with teenagers (or up thru maybe 35-40), because it can wear a guy out as we get old(er) for sure. At 68 I try to have the young-uns go in front. That's why I hire college age help.

bees1st
02-23-2015, 01:25 PM
We have 3' plus in the woods here . I was out Sat. and only sank 2" or so . Once the snow settles , especially after a warn day it's quite easy going .

WESTMAPLES
02-23-2015, 02:29 PM
i take my bulldozer and clear the road from the main driveway to the tanks and releasers and then snowshoes from there ( or knee deep hell without snowshoes ) but its going to get done either way, come deep freeze or hip deep snow !!! its where we live and the seasons we choose to work outside in, but ill keep doing it and so will many others, just to have stories to tell for years to come that where made the hard way .

Moser's Maple
02-23-2015, 02:39 PM
like others said you may sink some with snowshoes, but they are still better than going at without them. been in the woods the last week with snow shoes on and been sinking roughly up to my knees, take them off and snow is crouch to waste deep. it's a mess, but like anything else with maple you get out what you put into it.

NedL
02-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Just ordered snowshoes, will be trying them out for the first time this week. Hoping it works. I was out back yesterday and still sinking over my knees.

maple flats
02-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Snowshoes are necessary, and you will find muscles get sore that you didn't even know you had. If you have a set of ski poles, they help until you get used to walking in them, but after a few hours you may not want to use poles any more. Personally I like to carry 1 pole when breaking fresh trail, but after the trail is established I often stop carrying the pole.

BreezyHill
02-23-2015, 04:44 PM
Our last storms were very cold and the snow is lie powder.
Snow shoes in the bush and trails are packed with snowmobiles. Teaching a new groomer operaor to run the scandics in the bush. He packed for two hours one day.

Mark-NH
02-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Snow shoes only suck for the first pass, also called breaking trail. Once the trail is broken you will be able to cruise around to those buckets pretty easily.

MapleLady
02-23-2015, 06:30 PM
We have 3" + here in southern NH. Like the others have said, snowshoes are the best way. Once you start your trails, the next time over is much easier - almost becomes a path. That initial breaking trail is a bit tough, but isn't that sap worth it? ;)

Smitty8377
02-23-2015, 08:32 PM
I got the snowblower out and did the trails.(PITA) Evaporator was done with a shovel as well as the woodpile. So now I can access my storage totes with the 4 x 4. Snowshoes the rest of the way

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-24-2015, 03:52 AM
just picked up two sets of almost brand new snow shows 41" long for $120. one wooden set one aluminum set. Oh yea borrowing a D9 Dozer to plow trail around outside of sugar bush and across fields where we need supports