PDA

View Full Version : cloudy sap

SUGARSMITH
02-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Every year I get cloudy sap from my vacumn lines for the first week. Am I normal or am I not cleaning my lines good enough at the end of the season. Taste and odor of the sap is normal.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2004, 08:10 AM
I don't use vaccum, but if my lines are not really clean from the previous year, I get some cloudy sap also.

themapleking
02-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Your most likely still have water and or clorine mixture still in the lines from cleaning. You realy can't get it all out. Alot of us will let the first run dump on the ground this will flush the lines out. Or you can use a house water filter with a charcoal filter that removes the clorine from the sap before you boil.

imclean
02-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Like most of you I hate to see any sap go on the ground. I save it all. I run through my RO and that takes care of most of the taste. I will boil it and save it for the end of the season and put it in with my C grade syrup.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Don't jump to the wrong conclusion, I have seen sap that is cloudy still make Grade A syrup. I wouldn't throw it away until I tried it at least. It may be cloudy, but still taste great!