PDA

View Full Version : Can you use the arch with just dry fitted brick?

Big Stoney
02-21-2015, 07:35 PM
I will not have a permanent spot for the evaporator until next year. Can I just dry fit the brick and use the evaporator this year? Also on a raised flu evaporator is the area after the baffles and below the stack all bricked in?

Bucket Head
02-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Yes and not usually.

Mine are dry fitted. I've never cemented them in. My arch has moved several times during my ownership of it and its easier to move without the bricks. Also, I've only had a couple crack over many years use. It seems the expansion an contracting of cemented bricks takes a toll on them. Some folks have good luck with cement, but some have a lot of pieces at the end of the season. I did'nt want pieces.

Usually bricks are only put in the firebox area. They protect the arch insulation from getting damaged when loading wood. The bricks act like a large heat sink. So you really don't want them where they are not needed. You want your heat boiling sap and not heating bricks. Usually the rear portion of the arch is just lined with whatever material your using for insulation.

Steve

TerryEspo
02-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Agree with everything BUCKET says.
My bricks are dry fit, never had one crack. Brick only the firebox area and don't toss wood in from 5 ft away, lol. I would not cement my bricks even it my arch had a permanent home, just saying.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Terry

Big Stoney
02-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. What would you recommend lining the arch with before I put in the brick?

mapleguy
02-22-2015, 07:19 AM
I am really curious to what others have to say on the subject. I have a 3 x 10 raised flue from Lappiere that has been used for 10 seasons. Bricks are cemented and all are in perfect condition. Seems to me you want the bricks to keep things hotter. When I took delivery I received a blue print of the proper way to brick an arch. My advise would be to contact someone such as lappiere or leader for info.

maple flats
02-22-2015, 07:47 AM
The bricks can be dry fit in the firebox, unless the walls are vertical. With vertical walls it only takes a slight bump and a section will topple. Under the flues in a raised flue arch, you must raise the space to only leave less than an inch (mine is about 1/4-1/2") to force the heat to pass thru the flues. This is usually done with a bed of vermiculite capped either with half bricks or powdered refractory cement that has been wet using a fine mist several times and then cured by fire or with a layer of ceramic board insulation. If you don't protect the vermiculite it will not stay in position, especially when you brush the flues each day for best heat transfer. While drop flues are sometimes using sand to fill the space, it is considered too heavy for the large amount that is needed to fill the volume under a raised flue. I found the best place to get the vermiculite was from a large greenhouse supplier bought in a large bag rather than from a garden center bought in small bags. Back about 8-9 yrs ago, I paid less than $70 total for 3 large bags while it was going to cost about $500 if bought from Lowes garden center.

mapleguy
02-22-2015, 08:04 AM
Dave, very well put. My set up is exactly how you said and exactly how Lappiere recommends you install.

Bucket Head
02-22-2015, 08:28 PM
My arch sides are vertical and this is how I keep the dry fitted bricks in place. Just some pieces of rebar rod welded to the arch rail. As long as wood is not thrown or forced in, there won't be any problem. I've done it like this since 2002.

Also, I do not have any "filler" material for cement to hold in. My entire arch is lined with blanket insulation and the bricks are only in the firebox. However, my arch is homemade so it will not compare to factory built units with "space" that needs to be taken up.

Steve

Big Stoney
02-23-2015, 05:05 AM
What a great job on your arch. It looks better built than what you can buy.

WESTMAPLES
02-23-2015, 06:45 AM
same thing i did just cut the bricks tight and didn`t use the refactory cement. haven`t had a problem yet with throwing wood in it

Bucket Head
02-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks Stoney. A lot of thought and work went into it. Its pretty rugged. Probably more than it need to be, but I don't like doing things twice. (Although I do end up doing things twice from time to time..., lol.)

Steve

sr73087
03-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Sorry meant to start a new post