PDA

View Full Version : Favorite tapping bit

sapman
02-21-2015, 07:26 PM
Just getting opinions on what people like. I think I started with whatever Leader sold years ago, then found the Canadian bit, which I loved. Then last year tried a Lapierre bit. Best one yet, for me. Very quick, and usually leaves a clean hole. It is very aggressive, though, so I find I have to be careful.

I see Leader has a new one. Anyone try it yet?

markct
02-21-2015, 09:29 PM
My fav is still the canadian bit from bascoms. Bought the new leader one this year and wasnt impressed as it doesnt draw chips out as well as the canadians do

Mark-NH
02-21-2015, 09:34 PM
I used the Leader bits last year. I thought they worked fine. I also liked their durability. Did not break one off as we have past years.

DrTimPerkins
02-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Then last year tried a Lapierre bit. Best one yet, for me.

We've used the Lapierre bit the last 3 yrs at UVM PMRC. Definitely a very nice bit. Haven't yet tried the new Leader bit.

Dennis H.
02-22-2015, 08:19 AM
This is the bit that I use.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/81140204?item=81140204

I have used these for the past few years and I feel that they work great and way cheaper than those from the major dealers.
For what I can see they are the same spiral and Drill point angle as the more expensive ones.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Been using the Canadian Bit from Bascoms ever since they started carrying it and never broke one and they are best I have ever tried.

Mark
02-22-2015, 10:10 AM
If you want to hear your tappers complain just give them a bit other than a Canadian bit. Don't even consider giving them a standard drill bit that you would get form a non maple supply, they would probably walk off the job.

sjdoyon
02-22-2015, 01:00 PM
We used to use the Lapierre bit which works very well. Switched over to the MSC Direct bits two years ago and are happy with the performance. We do sharpen them a little before using. Found them to be cost effective when tapping a large number of trees.

This is the bit that I use.

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/81140204?item=81140204

I have used these for the past few years and I feel that they work great and way cheaper than those from the major dealers.
For what I can see they are the same spiral and Drill point angle as the more expensive ones.

wurmdert
02-23-2015, 01:11 PM
i ordered mine for D&G as thats where i got everything else. Hope it works ok next week

maple flats
02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
I've been using the Leader bit for years, but this year I'm trying the Stars bits ( tappingtree.com ) Haven't used then yet, but they do look good. I think any maple bit will by far out perform a std. hardware store bit for tapping.