PDA

View Full Version : Argo with tracks for hauling sap

Tapper705
02-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Anyone have experience using an Argo with tracks to haul sap. Currently using snowmobiles and quads. Our site is rugged, steep hills and boulders. The snowmobiles work well when there is snow, but when the snow is gone and it is wet, it gets messy with the 4 wheelers. Considering an argo with tracks but I have no experience with them. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

spud
02-21-2015, 08:55 AM
I have a friend in Alaska that used to sell them. They are great and a lot of fun. They will haul your sap wherever you want to take it. The bad part is they are very expensive.

Spud

maple flats
02-21-2015, 09:19 AM
May I suggest you look into tracks for your ATV. The 2 most popular makes seem to be Mattracks and Camoplast. My ATV plans to be wearing a full set next year, leaning towards Mattracks but not definate yet. With the ATV tracks the ATV forums say you can go anywhere, better than a snowmobile but slower top speed.

Jim Brown
02-21-2015, 09:46 AM
What I have heard is the ATV track system is nearly half the price of a good ARGO. Track system I,ve seen are around 3-5 thousand dollars. Good Argo start at 6 to 10 thousand dollars Both would do the job!
Just my two cents

Jim

MISugarDaddy
02-21-2015, 10:02 AM
We use a Kubota RTV1100 with tracks for collecting sap and it is fantastic. We paid $3200 for the Camoplast tracks. It is REALLY nice to have a heated cab when traveling between the woods and the sugar house. We have a 125 gallon tank in the back and that still keeps us within the load capacity of the Kubota.
Gary

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Flats get the camoplast tracks. They have deeper lugs and better approach angles http://youtu.be/AQh2FYwjUyg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjdoyon
02-21-2015, 01:21 PM
I have a 650 8x8 Argo with track/studs but we use it to haul our tubing for installation projects and to get around to check lines in the spring. Our terrain is steep (up to 30+ slope) so we've put the Argo to the test. Argo can handle the terrain but we have to go out on our trails after each storm and pack down the trails. They are pricey so there might be better options out there for you.

Shaun
02-21-2015, 06:33 PM
I just put on a set of camoplast on a ranger crew today. They seem well built and not too bad to install. Went up some pretty steep inclines in very powdery snow maybe 2-3 feet. Glad I had a winch because you can still get stuck. On flat or moderate ground I do not think you could stop it. Snowmobiles would have a hard time going where I went today. You could never stop to cut a tree out of the way and just start again on a snowmobile. You would get really stuck and be ready to leave it in the woods. So far happy, will know more tomorrow.

wrushton
02-21-2015, 08:25 PM
We use a V MAX 6x6 a little smaller then a argo an cheaper. I builted a wooden cab on it to me keep warm .use it for getting in out of the camp (1km in). don't use it to collet sap it is a little wider makes it a little harder to get around trees for me I would have to trim/cut some tree to make a wider path mostly because of the cab
On the plus side they will go over or thru anything . I use it to haul tree out of the woods in the summer

VT_K9
02-21-2015, 08:35 PM
10703We have tracks for our four wheelers. We don't haul a lot of sap because we pump most of it. We'll haul what is left in the pipe after pumping. I would think if you need to keep a larger container in one vehicle you would be best served by a Polaris Ranger or Kubota RTV. The tracks work really well. You can expect to spend about $4,000 for ATV tracks and closer to $5,000 for the larger UTV tracks. The Rangers run about $16,500 or so. Check out www.atvtracks.com for some different options available. They have good reviews from others on ATV forums. They also sell most brands so their opinions are likely fair.

Here's my fourwheeler. It is up for sale because I and looking a moving over to a Polaris RZR due to my shoulder.

Good Luck,

Mike

BreezyHill
02-21-2015, 09:53 PM
I groom for a snow club. Just getting in a couple hours ago from a 6 hour run. We have a Cushman trickster that would be similar to the argo.

Trackster is a amphibious unit also. It would haul a small tank on the back or a large one on a tracked trailer.

We don't use tracked atvs so haul drags as several clubs had issues with axles breaking.

I still want a set for my atv and will just be careful with it and not horse it like other do.

A tracked atv should go better than a snowmobile as the sled is being pushed around and the atv is driving on the front so it is pulling where it needs to go.

Mine as a front dif lock so I think it would be far better than any of our sleds. The grooming sleds have 24" tracks and pack a 52" trail in one pass.

Add a plastic culvert roller to you trail arsenal and you would have a great bush trail packing unit. Make it a metal pipe if you don't want snow to catch in the grooves of the trail. Metal will leave less of a groove. Plastic since we need all the snow on the trail as we can get.

Mattracks are the heavy duty brand but others have had good luck with the camplast units.

I will be going for the mattrack units unless I score a good used set of another brand.