PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" Mainline difernt outsides dementions !!!

TerryEspo
02-20-2015, 09:32 PM
I am not sure if this happens with all poly pipe but it happened to me today. I have some 1/2" poly pipe from TSC. Today I received my Shurflo pump and some other fittings, saddles, T,s etc.

I have a couple different saddle types to choose from here,,,but, not all fit my poly pipAll inside fittings work, its the outside that gives me problems. The poly I bought from TSC has a thin outside diameter, the saddle is too loose.

The poly pipe I bought is called 75psi water pipe, red stripe.

I have choices how to correct this, new thicker poly probably is best, not sure yet.

Just a heads up for other getting into poly and tubing, make sure all sizes are compatible. I am piecing all this together so I see room for error. Probably best to get all items from the same place.

Couple weeks still at least for any chance of sap so I have time.

Terry

mellondome
02-20-2015, 11:00 PM
Water pipe and maple line are completely different products.. both in composition and sizing.

jpcole
02-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Plastic pipe comes in alot of different sizes and compounds. I will try to explain the difference in pipe dia. First there is CTS [copper tube size]. It is a little smaller than IPS [international pipe size]. Pipe also has different wall thicknesses known as the SDR. You will need to find fittings that match these numbers. These numbers may be found on the date line on the side of the pipe, ie... SDR, date of manufacture, plant it was manufactured at, pipe size. Some will have the footage on it also.

I havent started running my sap lines yet, but I think it will be easier to spend alittle more money for pipe and fittings from a supplier knowing that they fit rather then trying to adapt and take many trips to the hardware store.

DrTimPerkins
02-21-2015, 10:20 AM
I have some 1/2" poly pipe from TSC.

Do maple equipment manufacturers even make any saddles for 1/2" pipe any longer?

TerryEspo
02-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Tim, from what I have looked at online brand new 1/2" saddles are rare, unavailable, don't see any available from dealers.
I got mine used from a fellow tapper, lol.

Going through my junky box of connectors and fittings, (brass, poly, galvanized and copper) its weird how some same size fittings work and some don't, it all has to do with inside and outside diameters.

I think I may go to TSC and see in person their 3/4" poly pipe and that may match Maple Sap Mainline outside diameter for 1/2", hope that makes sense. Also will bring the saddles types I have with me.

The learning journey continues. :rolleyes:

Terry

markct
02-21-2015, 04:55 PM
I would use 3/4 as any installation big enough for cost dif to be more than 20 bucks or so is enough taps to be too many for 1/2 mainline anyhow. Only place i use 1/2 is pumplines so its a small volume to drain

PATheron
02-22-2015, 07:05 PM
I use saddles that say eratube on them. Cant remember which manufacturer I got them from, Think maybe D&G. They come with a gasket that take the larger hole. They also come with two tie wrap like things. They can be adjusted for .75- 1.25. What I found is if you don't use the tie wraps and use double wire ties on each end of them they work great on half inch. They are also a fixed head saddle. I like them that way because the ones that swivel leak. I would use three quarter as minimum too but I have some half inch with these saddles on it and it seems to work pretty good. Theron

MAPLE FARMER
02-23-2015, 08:03 PM
Not sure if you can still get 1/2 inch mainline anymore but it may be worth just spending a little extra money and buying a name brand 3/4 inch mainline from leader, cdl, etc. Fittings are much more readily available and that comes in handy down the road if you need to make repairs quickly and also putting manifolds on the bigger mainline is really easy with the mainline punches that are available now. I do know that most food grade mainline is 120 psi and a little bit thicker then just water pipe from tractor supply.

markct
02-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Leader still has it available, it has its place don't get me wrong, I have used it in a few areas to get say a cluster of 25 or so taps that had to go a long ways from a regular mainline. In that use no saddles are involved as it just goes to a star fitting at the end.