PDA

View Full Version : 8x2 brick arch

js4fn
02-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Hi guys my first post been lurking and reading great site a lot of useful types along with time saving types thanks for those
some of you guys have nice sugar houses mines just a shack gets the job done

my question i have a 8x2 brick arch clay brick outs side rows with firebrick inside rows laid on the flat insulation in between 2x2 angle iron around the top holds the firebrick then there is 3x3 angle iron that the pans sit on
firebox area really takes a beating loading with wood

since 2x2 angle iron around the top that holds the firebrick and 3x3 angle iron that the pans sit on has 3/8" space in between in the firebox area from door 20" in I'm thinking of putting 1/4 in plate that will slide up into the space between of the two angle iron frames and just let it float there sitting on firebrick floor/bottom am i crazy think it will warp and cause problems

have the pieces cut and sitting there now looks good just second guessing myself

from ontario btw 250 taps if i can get through the snow to get them all

Sugarmaker
02-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Welcome!
I think your asking about lining the firebox with 1/4 sheet steel over the brick?
Seems like it would work for a while maybe a long time? It may get hot and warp at some point. I don't think it will hurt to try if you have the steel and its not too much work to put it in.
Unsure what you mean by the fire box taking a beating? Have you had a talk with the folks that are firing it?:)
Pictures are always good.
I really don't know of any steel lined arches? Most have fire brick as you have already.
Regards,
Chris

Schiefe4
02-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Any pictures?

js4fn
02-26-2015, 03:51 PM
trying to post pictures
can't really yell at free help
think its going to work for this year. built a new barn/shop this year and summer was spent on that project winter came too fast for sugar shack work. up to 24- 30" of snow tapping isn't going to be that much fun but sap tanks don't need snow piled around them this year yet.

markct
02-26-2015, 09:46 PM
If you fire it hard the steel will not only warp but also scale and burn away. Firebrick inside will hold up best