PDA

View Full Version : Should I add a cross brace?

Marvel26
02-19-2015, 04:36 PM
I'm finishing up my oil tank arch and the final dimensions will be 23" X 60". I have a 2' X 5' Hybrid coming from Smoky Lake either this week or next and I was just wondering if I should add a cross brace just in front of where the flues stop? The arch will be bricked with half brick but I had an afterthought that there might be a potential for warping....

Thanks

Rob

lpakiz
02-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Marvel,
Skip the cross tie. It's not necessary, and will burn out in a season. Hopefully your 23 inch dimension is the inside of the top frame. I used 2 x3 angle iron, with the 2 inch flat on top and the 3 inch down the sides. Your pan will be 24 inches wide, and you will want 1/2 to 3/4 inch overlap. Usually, outside dimension of 25 1/2 is about right. Never more than 25 3/4, or the float box and outlet fittings will rest ON the top rail instead of overhanging it.

Marvel26
02-19-2015, 07:40 PM
lpakiz

The 23" is the outside dimension...might be a little more. The pan should overlap about 1/2" on either side. My angle on the sides faces in so the actual "hole" will be 2 1/2" smaller, 1 1/4" per side. The flues will still be about an inch or so from the inside edge..

psparr
02-19-2015, 07:45 PM
Ceramic blanket would be a good investment. I did my oil tank from the start and wouldn't go back. I had issues with the blanket not staying on the door from wood ripping it up, and the door warped pretty bad.

lpakiz
02-19-2015, 10:38 PM
OK, Marvel, that will work. You are sacrificing several square inches of potential exposure to the heat. Most arches are wider than the pans, with only a 1/2 or 3/4 inch of the pan setting on the inside edge of the rail, but if that's what the oil tank gives you, go with it.

Marvel26
02-20-2015, 01:25 PM
My initial idea was to get a custom pan to match the tank arch but there wasn't a soul here ins SWNB willing to tackle the project....well that's not true there was one gent but he wanted $2500+ to "try". The Smoky Lake was the stock alternative which would allow for easier upgrades in the future (standard size) should I choose to increase production in the next few years.