PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator pan construction questions for the know hows

Azitizz
02-19-2015, 11:55 AM
I just about to start a project of making a simple flat 2x3 (8"high) evaporator pan perhaps with a small worming pan on top.

A few questions come to mind as Im making my materials list and planning the design.

I noticed many pans have edges bent inwards as opposed to outwards, I was about to build it outwards so as to make a bit of a "handle edge and add strength. I thought bending inwards (having a small edge around the inside edges of the pan) would take away somewhat from the evaporation, or would this be insignificant?

Second, Is it more efficient to put dividers in the pan or simply a thing of convenience? (i.e. its easier to pour off a constant flow of syrup as opposed to boiling everything down to a certain point then pouring off the whole pan? ) Im considering putting the flow divider in but I've never used them before, and if its not going to improve efficiency much I would like to keep the pan simpler and keep the possibility open for adding flues later on down the road some day.
How much of an edge would you recommend having on the arch to support the pan and to seal it off? Is there a standard or reccomendations so when I go to buy some rope gasket I have what will fit for the least amount of space?

Pete S
02-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Roll the upper edge in as that may help with foaming over. You'll be wearing gloves anyway so the lip "in" will work as a handle anyway.

I don't have any knowledge about the continuous flow pan design,................yet. I'll know more by April with any luck!

beaglebriar
02-19-2015, 05:49 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat as you except I have already built my pan. I didn't ask any questions and went with my gut on the pan build. I bent the top lip out because I think it will be easier to clean/empty. Plus I've seen them bent either way. As far as dividers I believe they will speed up the process but I don't know first hand yet. I'll let someone who knows what there talking about take over from here.

psparr
02-19-2015, 06:25 PM
A couple points. I built my oil tank arch with only 1/2" bearing for the pan. It works, and I'm sure it helps up the evaporation rate. But i f doing it over I would give it an inch or better. The dividers help establish a gradient. It wont help increase evaporation. You can always batch boil with the dividers when you don't have enough sap to keep it running. Just make it fun.

Big_Eddy
02-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Commercial pans are built with a side profile that bends in at a 45 then out at a 45 then down and under. The first bend in directs any splashing coming up the wall back into the pan. The remaining bends add stiffness to the pan and roll the sharp edge under.

When I built my pan I just left the top edge straight and deburred it. Mine is wobbly and I get syrup stains on the outsides from splashes jumping out of the pan.

Lots of info (and misinfo) on this board about continuous versus batch boiling. Dividers do not speed up evaporation. How many trees are you planning to tap and do you have shelter or are you outside boiling? Fewer trees, weekends only and outside are best suited to batch boiling. Batch boiling can be done in a divider pan but the dividers are of no benefit.