PDA

View Full Version : Modifying A Flat Pan,

luke12
02-19-2015, 08:37 AM
Hi, I am looking to updated my pan, I have a flat pan 20"x40", and draw off at the front, I want to put some deviders in the pan, I have attached my proposal, I am not sure if i can switch direction of the flow, Please let me know your thoughts

TerryEspo
02-25-2015, 10:22 AM
I like the new pan plan.

I have no idea about changing flow direction, maybe someone else does.

I sometimes place a stainless piece into the back of my pan to pour in sap if it has not been preheated. It is not tacked, just place it and it stays in place.

Good luck.

Terry

Schiefe4
02-25-2015, 12:02 PM

As long as you have sap coming in and syrup going out you can probably make the thing flow in any direction you would like. If this is just a flat pan, I would keep it simple and orient the divisions in the same direction. Keep it simple. See attached photos.

bohmanj825
02-26-2015, 04:38 PM
I don't see any problem with the plan that's the same thing I'm doing with my new pans that I'm waiting for, except mine will be two separate pans. Idea being if we ever extend the arch I still can use the front pan as a finishing pan.

luke12
03-03-2015, 11:53 AM
OK Thanks everyone, I will move foward with design,

Sugarmaker
03-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Doesn't look like you can change the flow with this design. What is your goal and expectations for this pan? I am not sure you will see much of a difference in the performance. The draw off at the front center is not in the best position for this proposed syrup path through the pan. It should be on the top side of the sketch, Left side of the pan when facing. You should start to see some gradient with these partitions put in place it they are welded in solid to the bottom of the pan.
Regards,
Chris

wnybassman
03-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Should work very well. I did nearly the same exact thing with my 2x4 flat pan a few years back. Sets up a gradient nice and I was drawing off syrup very close to finished. I agree though, try to get that draw off port near the end of that compartment.

catfisher
03-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Question regarding adding a divider.

How is the divider attached to an existing pan, spot welded in? I was under the impression that it's not good to add a divider to a pan once it's used, though not sure where I heard that. We bought a new 2x4 16 gauge SS flat pan last year with a draw off valve in the right front corner. We are adding a pre preheater pan this year and would also add dividers if possible