PDA

View Full Version : Maine tapping 2015

Chicopee Sap Shack
02-19-2015, 07:34 AM
So this waiting game is starting to get the best of me. Looking at the 10 day forecast this morning on NECN that is normally the best it says Sunday 39 but then into the 20s for all of next week. I have about a day of work to have the sugar house ready, set the releaser and tap. I'm doing my best to hold off but i have an itch that is killing me. Im torn to tap for Sunday but it says rain/snow. Whats everyone else thinking?

Scott

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-19-2015, 08:24 AM
I'm holding off for now, I was thinking about starting this weekend but like many others the long range is depressing. Oh well, we have some new bushes to get pipe strung up in, so this added time is beneficial in one aspect. My Father has been busting his hump on the tractor everyday just to keep the access roads open from all the snow, looking out the office window right now, looks like another clean up will be needed 6" to 12" expected nice!!! Remember last year, had the second boil of the season April 13th.

Best to all,

Shawn,

Maple Ridge
02-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Last year I tapped first of March and it turned off cold for 5 weeks and the holes dried up. I am going to be patient this year. Good weather will come. Like most, I work all week so the only chance I have to tap is on the weekend, so I need to gauge it accordingly.

Marvel26
02-19-2015, 01:28 PM
I'm eavesdropping on your posts ;-) I'm just across the border in St. George, NB and I was wondering when I should start tapping so I have been watching Maine and NS. We had 3 days in the just at freezing or a degree above this week which made a few trees darken at the knots. But the long range here is not promising as well....nothing really above 5 degrees below freezing.

As a rookie, I'm getting anxious to get into the game!

NhShaun
02-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Just over he border in NH and as much as i want to start tapping. I think i will wait until the long term forecast looks a little more promising. I still need to do a few things to get my block arch up and running, so this deep freeze is buying me some time.

K.I. Joe
02-19-2015, 05:17 PM
I am thinking it will be the third week in March at the rate we are going

twitch
02-19-2015, 08:57 PM
looks like at least another 2 weeks. i sure would like a day above freezing so i could wash some stuff up and get my evap ready to go guess when it warms up it will just have to be a made rush. One things for sure I don't care if i see another snow flake till november .I got one main line that runs 70 taps that has at least 4 feet of drifted snow that you can walk on on top of it its like a block not sure what i am going to do there . I did see three robins yesterday i think they were lost.

FordHeritageFarm
02-20-2015, 07:06 AM
I did the same as Maple Ridge last season and my holes dried up as well. I tapped the calendar instead of the weather. I'm going to wait until things look better as far as nature is concerned this season.

Ryan August
02-20-2015, 12:13 PM
this weather forcast stuff all sounds great, but i am getting tired of waiting. I love snow and winter, but ready to start boiling.

bees1st
02-22-2015, 03:56 AM
When I first started sugaring back in the 90's , I used to like to be set up and ready to drill holes by March 1st . I never really thought I had missed much . Maybe a short run . To me this seems more like the norm .

mainline
02-22-2015, 08:11 AM
I started tapping yesterday and it is going to take awhile to get 1400 check valves in. The snow is deep and the storms we have had did do some damage to the bush. I am lucky that I have someone that understands vacume systems and tapping trees helping or it would be the end of march before I got it done. My job takes up Monday threw Friday so It does not leave a lot of time to get it done. Last year I used leader check valves and taped in just about now. At the end of April with the pump running I still had 900 to 1000 gallons going threw the releaser a day. It does seem to be what a lot of people would call a good old fashioned winter. It will not be long we will be watching the releaser dumping every 2 or 3 minutes,flipping switches, turning valves, throwing wood, and making lots of Syrup.

wurmdert
02-22-2015, 08:14 PM
I plan to install 150 taps of 3/16 next weekend

maineboiler
02-23-2015, 08:48 PM
I am thinking of tapping starting on Sunday--forecast is for sun, although it looks to be cold and rainy early the following week. Might better to wait until the next weekend but I never claimed to be patient

West Sumner Sugar
02-24-2015, 06:58 AM
We will be getting out tap on Saturday. With all the snow on the ground it will take longer than usual so starting a bit early might not hurt so we don't miss an early run. Luckily we have 2 different areas we tap about 40 miles apart so we typically almost get 2 seasons out of it.

eagle lake sugar
02-24-2015, 11:34 AM
I started last week. 1500 down and 1350 more to go. Just one season, I'd like to tap without thigh deep snow!!!

dadsmaplesugarshack
02-24-2015, 03:12 PM
well I started taping Monday around 100 in with 3.5 hours on snow shoes ,hard going this year 500 to go ,pace yourself and enjoy the woods !

TheMapleMoose
02-25-2015, 11:05 AM
I started last week. 1500 down and 1350 more to go. Just one season, I'd like to tap without thigh deep snow!!!

Sounds like you're on a roll, we've got 1500 to put in down here if you want to keep rolling. :D

sap seeker
02-25-2015, 02:59 PM
Long range forecast looks good for central Maine starting middle of March.:)

eagle lake sugar
02-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Sounds like you're on a roll, we've got 1500 to put in down here if you want to keep rolling. :D Ha Ha very funny!!! I'm hoping to nearly finish this weekend, but I've had enough trudging through the snow. Thanks for the offer though!

Maple Ridge
02-26-2015, 01:28 PM
I might start next weekend myself. I will try to get the tubing in anyway. the buckets might be later depending on the weather. Where I work all week the weekends is the only time I got.

efoyt
03-01-2015, 06:41 AM
Ok...weather is starting to look really good in central Maine. A few good days this week. Weather.com saying that days next week will all be above freezing. Any harm in starting to put my taps in today?

West Sumner Sugar
03-01-2015, 11:14 AM
We got 100 or so up on 5/16 yesterday. Most tap holes on the sunny side of the tree started dripping within a minute of drilling. Not a lot of sap but still exciting to see the first drips of the season!

abbott
03-01-2015, 03:26 PM
At this point, I don't see rushing to get all of my taps in for a potentially warm Wednesday, though I still have about 18 hours to change my mind. Will likely start tapping Thursday or Friday. Next week looks hopeful.

maineboiler
03-02-2015, 07:23 AM
I was hoping to tap this past weekend but just too darn cold. Set up a lot of drop lines and I plan to drill taps this Sunday---forecast finally looks good

Revi
03-02-2015, 12:51 PM
We got started doing fix ups and tapping on Saturday. Great day to be out in the woods. We tapped about 100, so we are on our way now. We have about 200 to go, so we're working on them little by little. I think we'll be ready when it really gets going. We only had one drip on the south side of a tree, late in the day.

Mitchman
03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Yes, I got a teaspoon myself out of one tree, trying to get all my taps in for Weds. warm up !!

Mike's Sugar Shack
03-03-2015, 03:47 AM
I tapped 620 on sat and sun.Sat the trees in the sun the holes were wet. Come fri i will get the rest tapped vacation starts and dont have to go back to work til yhe middle of april.Cant wait to get started.

wurmdert
03-03-2015, 06:42 AM
Got about 1500 feet of 3/16 left to run in the afternoon today then start cuttin in drops and tapping on weds.

Smrdc1974
03-03-2015, 07:17 PM
I am thinking this Sunday !!! Next week weather looks promising as does the long range forecast. We shall see

chefchap
03-04-2015, 06:03 AM
We are tapping today and putting up mainline for new run tomorrow gonna try 3/16 on a new bush heard good things about it

abbott
03-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Anybody get any sap today? I'm kinda wishing I was tapped so that I could've used the day to check for leaks. Oh well. Instead I gave the evaporator and tanks a rinsing and I'll start in tapping tomorrow.

wurmdert
03-04-2015, 07:09 PM
I started tapping this afternoon and a few of my 3/16 drops filled up.. not sure what did in middle of day

West Sumner Sugar
03-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Anybody get any sap today? I'm kinda wishing I was tapped so that I could've used the day to check for leaks. Oh well. Instead I gave the evaporator and tanks a rinsing and I'll start in tapping tomorrow.

We got maybe a gallon on what we have tapped in Auburn. I was able to get there tonight to tidy up some tubing and it was mostly full. What did run was about 1.75%.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-05-2015, 02:08 PM
It's definitely time to hit the woods on Saturday. We've been working on improvements since late November till now, so it's time to see the benefits of all the hard work. We just kept putting up new mains and lats without keeping track of how many taps we picked up, I have 500 new drops and tees ready to cut in, hope they all get a spot. This year we added another tower to the RO and replaced the old preheat coil that was pretty used up with a new stainless one. Hopefully Mother Nature will deal us the cards we need before Maple Sunday, the syrup inventory is down to six half gallons, three quarts, dozen pints and a few glass items. Time to fill some barrels!!!

Hope all is well for everyone, have a great season.

Shawn

Flat47
03-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Going to start tapping tomorrow here in southern Aroostook County. Hopefully it won't freeze up tight next week - need sap for Maple Sunday!

Flat47
03-08-2015, 08:46 PM
Going to start tapping tomorrow here in southern Aroostook County. Hopefully it won't freeze up tight next week - need sap for Maple Sunday!

Didn't tap - still too cold and the forecast is looking colder than first thought.

Revi
03-09-2015, 07:23 AM
We are all tapped, and ready to go now. There are some warm days coming, but I am really glad we aren't on the Maine Maple Sunday list. We aren't going to have much. I checked out the weather, and we'll sweeten the pan this weekend, maybe and be turning out some syrup next week, but we won't have much. We have about 3 gallons left from last year, so that won't take us very far. So far it's been fun anyway. We had some visitors yesterday and one painted a pic of the sugarhouse, so I traded a gift certificate for my shop for it. It's a sweet pic!

sg5054
03-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Started tapping Sunday. Every tree I drilled immediately ran. I am setting up 6 pipelines with 5/16 tube. New process for me. Had no choice as the snows too deep for the ATV to run buckets. A bit of a learning curve going on for sure. Only got 2 lines tapped at 150 - 250 ft each. Slow going do it alone. **** dog won't hold one end while trying to put the tee's in. The scramble is on!

Maple Ridge
03-09-2015, 12:54 PM
I am all in, sugar house cleaned and set up, did a test boil yesterday with water to make sure things are good. Only one leak to repair and now waiting for the run to start. I am hoping to sweeten the pans this weekend but will depend on the weather as always.

maineboiler
03-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Placed about 100 taps this past Sunday and today. Not much flowing today with the wind. Tues. and Wed. look good so maybe we'll do a boil by Friday. Getting a little anxious

twitch
03-09-2015, 08:13 PM
10959109601096110962Got 325 in as of today moving to other bush tomorrow get in another 70 on gravity then on to buckets. My neighbor was really bored and came over and said he wanted to help shovel out main line I dont think he new what he was getting into. The picture with my tractor is the road to the tank . The other one are Terry my neighbor who helped build my sugar house for a life time supply of syrup.

Jal-Bear
03-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Finished tapping today. Was originally planning to have around 150 taps, ended up with a little over 200. Not too much happening yet. Some that get fairly decent sun exposure have started to slowly drip.

Revi
03-10-2015, 07:44 AM
We are ready, now all we need is sap!

Chicopee Sap Shack
03-10-2015, 07:34 PM
82 gallons between yesterday and today. Boiled enough to sweeten the pans and get a small "maple fix"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twitch
03-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Put in another 70 on gravity today going to throw a few buckets up in the A.M. Then I am going to work on controlling the weather! My neighbor (who says he visits the 5th dimension when he meditates) says that if enough people concentrate on making something happen it will. Hey maybe its true.

Ryan August
03-10-2015, 09:22 PM
I am starting to feel like when I was 16 with that first girl, I know its coming soon, taps out, buckets, tubes, pan are ready, hope it justs lasts a little longer. Still frozen up tight here in Winthrop. few drops on 67 taps, will get another 20 ro 30 out this weekend

chefchap
03-11-2015, 04:47 AM
We pulled 30 gallons of sap yesterday looks like they are starting to wake up here in Casco
Cleaned the stack and set up the arch though we both looked like coal miners afterwards haha
Hoping to sweeten the pans by thurs did a mock boil yesterday can't wait

Maple Ridge
03-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Has anyone checked the sugar content on there sap? I checked some off one of my tubing runs and it was 1%. I will need to check a few buckets. Just dosen't sound right.

West Sumner Sugar
03-11-2015, 12:24 PM
I checked yesterday at 2 of our tapping sites. Both were right about 2.4-2.5%. These trees are also 100% out in the open and not in the woods. That might make a difference. Probably more thawed than the wooded areas.

bees1st
03-11-2015, 03:22 PM
I just checked mine coming in from the woods . A shocking 1.2 . What the heck !

abbott
03-11-2015, 06:00 PM
I've had 1.7% sap. Just a tick above the start of last year. Its been so cold for so long... the trees need a few freeze/thaw cycles to get up to normal.

Long range forecast is looking scarily like last year...

wurmdert
03-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Got 50 Gallons 1.4% here on 100 3/16 taps

twitch
03-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Scarily a like that word Abbott . This could be a great season if we could just get a good temperature swing it's driving me nuts to look at the temps staying either above freezing all day and night or below freezing all day and night.

I've had 1.7% sap. Just a tick above the start of last year. Its been so cold for so long... the trees need a few freeze/thaw cycles to get up to normal.

Long range forecast is looking scarily like last year...

Atgreene
03-11-2015, 08:43 PM
Running 2.1-2.2 here, low for us. We seldom run less than 2.5, and often are at 3. All sugar maples, no soft. Probably got 150 gallons of sap in the various tanks, not enough to boil yet. Tapped 200 more today, still a couple hundred to go.

Maple Ridge
03-12-2015, 05:41 AM
I checked again last night still about the same sugar %. But looks like I am not alone on this one. I will go with the coment from abbott that the trees need to get there cycle back in shape. Tough with this weather, but I am thinking positive that this will be a good year. I looked at some of the other poste and seems like Canada is seeing this also.

chefchap
03-12-2015, 01:23 PM
We have been getting 2% doing our first boil today

bees1st
03-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Boiled approx. 600 gallons of that 1.2 today . Sweetened the pans . Made some nice Med.

maineboiler
03-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Slow so far in Oxford and the sap about 1 %. Kind of strange. Next week doesn't look great but we will see what happens

Run Forest Run!
03-13-2015, 06:20 PM
I looked at some of the other poste and seems like Canada is seeing this also.

Maple Ridge, this is from our latest provincial report (today) on Ontario's maple production;

Producers who have equipment to measure sap sugar concentration reported sap sugar ranging from 1.0 to 1.5 ⁰Brix. Sap sugar concentration often begins the season low and increases as sap flow progresses. The enzymes that convert the immobile starch back into sucrose, which dissolves and flows freely in sap water, will act faster as thawing temperatures become more frequent.

As snow continues to melt down and away from the base of tree trunks, sap should begin to flow more vigorously and sap sugar concentration will hopefully increase. Long-range weather forecasts indicate good sap flow conditions will occur next week in many areas of the province.

Sugar content is already improving here, so hopefully yours will too.

Mitchman
03-15-2015, 04:22 PM
Slow here in the western Mts also, have to clean about 8 " inch's of snow off the old buckets. We could get 1' foot by the time it's all said and done.

moonshine
03-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Not much action here on South Strong Road, Farmington. The good news is we like to ski, and those conditions are stellar.

Revi
03-15-2015, 08:36 PM
We are all tapped now, and the trees gave up a little, but not enough to boil last week. We'll have to see what this week brings. We are going to have a short season, like last year.

Maple Ridge
03-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Maple Ridge, this is from our latest provincial report (today) on Ontario's maple production;

Producers who have equipment to measure sap sugar concentration reported sap sugar ranging from 1.0 to 1.5 ⁰Brix. Sap sugar concentration often begins the season low and increases as sap flow progresses. The enzymes that convert the immobile starch back into sucrose, which dissolves and flows freely in sap water, will act faster as thawing temperatures become more frequent.

As snow continues to melt down and away from the base of tree trunks, sap should begin to flow more vigorously and sap sugar concentration will hopefully increase. Long-range weather forecasts indicate good sap flow conditions will occur next week in many areas of the province.

Sugar content is already improving here, so hopefully yours will too.

Thank you Karen for this information. I have noticed a differance already.

Revi
03-16-2015, 12:52 PM
We have had very little sap to test, but it was at 1.5% on the one day we had enough.

We may get some today and tomorrow, though. We'll see....

wurmdert
03-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Today was the first run with my vacuum gauges installed on 3/16. Had 15 in. but wasnt good run and started late.

Mitchman
03-16-2015, 06:12 PM
First decent run myself, about 5 gals sap on 69 taps.But it gave me the chance to fix leaks, sagging lines. I noticed some lines with volume in them, were not flowing very fast so i put a vent in here and there, using a Y fitting and a stub of tubing so i could cable tie it standing straight up. No chance of it flopping over, and losing sap. Well the lines empty out pretty nice. I don't have vacuum, maybe next year. Anybody heard of this or use it ?? A positive or negative comment ?? I can take it !!

Bucket 29 taps
5/16 gravity 36 taps
95 Polaris Indy 500 w/sled
416 Cat Backhoe
12x16 Maple Shack
R O Home Made
Propane Burners

Chicopee Sap Shack
03-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Don't vent the line you will loose any natural vacuum you had and it is another spot for microbes to enter the line

abbott
03-16-2015, 08:04 PM
Sap wasn't moving in the lines simply because the trees weren't running much. If the trees run the sap will come out the other end. Installing vents won't get you more sap in the long run, though it probably won't hurt anything either. I guess it might make it more likely for outside air (containing bacteria) to get to the taphole, causing it to dry up faster.

First decent run myself, about 5 gals sap on 69 taps.But it gave me the chance to fix leaks, sagging lines. I noticed some lines with volume in them, were not flowing very fast so i put a vent in here and there, using a Y fitting and a stub of tubing so i could cable tie it standing straight up. No chance of it flopping over, and losing sap. Well the lines empty out pretty nice. I don't have vacuum, maybe next year. Anybody heard of this or use it ?? A positive or negative comment ?? I can take it !!

maineboiler
03-16-2015, 09:51 PM
First decent day today. Collected 65 gallons of sap from 150 taps. Tested at only 1% but I was able to sweeten the pans with a 2 hour boil. The season is off and running

Atgreene
03-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Sugar content finally came up to 3%, that is normal for us. Boiled again today, tried the ro for the first time. More to boil tomorrow before the deep freeze midweek. Still more to tap, and with maine maple Sunday this week, it's going to be pretty crazy trying to get everything done.

Mitchman
03-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Point taken Steve Thanks !! I know i have to retap a few tree's already that normally give off much more than they have. I guess i jumped the gun.

twitch
03-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Finally got in the first boil last night put 300 gallons of 2% threw the evaporator and pulled out 1 gallon of syrup. Now just wait and see what happens Saturday and maybe Friday if the temps are just a little higher then they say they will be we may get some then.

abbott
03-18-2015, 07:43 AM
Point taken Steve Thanks !! I know i have to retap a few tree's already that normally give off much more than they have. I guess i jumped the gun.

Hey we've all been there. At this point, just be patient and see what happens when we get real sapping weather. I'd advise finding a few more trees to tap if you want more sap rather than re-injuring the ones you've already got tapped. The season has barely just begun.

Revi
03-18-2015, 09:33 AM
I boiled off what we had last night, because it would have frozen up otherwise. I only got to a boil, and then had to stop. Maybe it went from 1.5% to around 4%, but at least it's boiled.

I'm going to start a tiny fire just to keep it from freezing this afternoon, and hopefully Friday and Saturday we'll have a run. Maybe. We'll push a stick in an hour to make some steam.

That's the plan anyway... Next week is looking good.

Mitchman
03-19-2015, 05:26 PM
Yup, Have a dozen out back farther i was going to save till next year, never tapped, now i am not waiting !!!

sugardaddy's
03-19-2015, 07:57 PM
I haven't boiled yet. But on my way to Portland I saw someone boiling today. His shack is only about 5 miles from mine. I guess I need to get it in gear and get moving.

maineboiler
03-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Nothing but "sapsicles" in my buckets and pails today (those that weren't blown away). Tough season so far.

abbott
03-21-2015, 08:09 AM
I just saw on wcsh6 that Bangor is currently on pace for the coldest March on record. I'm still hoping that the last week of the month is warm enough to change that, but still...

And what year currently has the record for coldest March? You guessed it - 2014. I believe those records go back to the 1940's at least. And I believe this February did break the record in Bangor for coldest month ever. So next time your grampa says, "This has been a winter like the ones we used to have." You can tell him that it has been colder and snowier (if you're downeast) than all but maybe one or two winters he's ever seen.

That's not to say we can't still have a good maple season. But at this point we're going to need a below average April as well.

donka
03-22-2015, 08:25 AM
Wow,
Just finishing up the hardest earned batch of syrup ever. I had 60 gallons of sap stored up mostly frozen in buckets,being the stubborn yankee I am I chiseled out all the buckets and melted all the icechunks on the stove, filtered, and transferred to the evaporator. Now I'm trying to finish the batch in my open sided shed with the wind blowing 30 mph straight in my face (we are having fun now!!).

boondocker
03-22-2015, 09:27 AM
I am a 3rd generation sugar maker and this is the first time in my 8 years of running my own sugar house that I had to put a closed sign up at the end of the driveway. This weather is miserable!! I'm over it!! I'm having withdrawals......I need to boil some Sweetwater!

Maineiac
03-22-2015, 11:22 AM
It sure looks like I chose the right year to dive into all of this. I suppose it'll only get easier. Doing it mostly by hand on snowshoes with the occasional two year-old on my back. Haven't boiled a drop yet because it's been too darn cold and windy. My son looks out the back window and says "See buckets, daddy?". Yeah, I see em alright.

bagpiper
03-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Yes, I'm a 1st timer too. I've collected about 50 gals. of sap so far from the 40 taps that I have out. I've had 2 Saturday boils of 25 gals. each - what a blast! I've produced about 2 qts. of syrup from each boil. The 1st batch was very light in color. The batch that I made yesterday was darker and I did cook it a little longer. I put out 5 more buckets this morning. I hope that we get some decent weather soon so that I'll stop setting taps and start collecting sap. 11261

Grayfarm
03-22-2015, 03:45 PM
110 taps on buckets out 3/21 and 3/22 in Denmark, ME. 23 gallons sap yesterday, froze up today. Boiled today and made 6 pints of very light Amber syrup. About 60:1 sap to syrup.

Run Forest Run!
03-22-2015, 05:42 PM
They look lovely bagpiper. Congratulations on your very first batches.

West Sumner Sugar
03-22-2015, 07:10 PM
We were able to get our evaporator together and the first boil of the season under our belt. Boiled down about 225 gallons of sap this afternoon. Looks like a good week coming up so should be able to get some syrup in the bottles next weekend. I will agree with the statements above...the weather today was ridiculous. Frozen sap, high winds, freezing temps, blowing snow. It can only get better from here!

Atgreene
03-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Good crowd for Maine Maple Sunday, considering the brutal cold and 40 mph wind.

twitch
03-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Boiled a little sap this morning for maple Sunday. We normally do a breakfast open to the public but we postponed it till next Sunday do to lack of sap and lack of syrup and my 6 year old couldn't be their till late in the day so it just didn't seem right to do it. So we boiled this morning and just a handful of people showed up was a good time. Ran out of sap at about 11. So breakfast at 8 on Sunday anyone wants to come your more then welcome. I sure hope we get a flood of sap this week I want to be wondering how the heck I am going to get it all boiled down. instead of wondering how hard my pans are going to freeze.

Revi
03-23-2015, 07:22 AM
We had a short boil both days, and a lot of people showed up. Sunday was really chilly, but we had a lot of visitors. It was fun. Thanks to all who participated!

dadsmaplesugarshack
03-23-2015, 08:33 AM
we had a great turnout for maple Sunday more like artic Sunday !!!! Hearty Maine folks. would like to thank all my family and friends and customer's for participating we had a great time had enough sap to boil all day .weathers looking more spring like this week looks like a good boil next weekend :D

Revi
03-24-2015, 06:38 AM
It was chilly last night, but this week looks good. Get ready for big sap flow!!!!!!!

Maple Ridge
03-24-2015, 08:47 AM
It was chilly last night, but this week looks good. Get ready for big sap flow!!!!!!!

I am with you. Bring it on!!!

NhShaun
03-24-2015, 08:49 AM
After this rain things are looking good !

Atgreene
03-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Tapped this tree today, 8%. Wish I had a few hundred of these.11341

Run Forest Run!
03-24-2015, 09:22 PM
Tapped this tree today, 8%. Wish I had a few hundred of these.11341

That's insane!!!!!!!! :o WOW! The second photo with your various grades looks beautiful. Like a stained glass window made of syrup.

Atgreene
03-25-2015, 05:28 AM
Didn't mean to post the second pic, this smart phone is obviously smarter than I. I'll post a pic of all the samples in the window, its popular with the tourists.

Atgreene
03-25-2015, 06:44 PM
One small bunch we tap (40 taps) is running 4%, and when we gathered our 30 buckets today, we had 4%. All the sap combined is a strong 3.1%, no complaints on sugar content. Quantity however, is still lacking. Even with today's good conditions we only brought in 250 gallons or so. The buckets on the north side of the trees aren't running yet, so season is still early, hoping it doesn't come all at once and be done.

twitch
03-25-2015, 07:38 PM
I was really hoping for a little better run today it seems shaded taps and north side taps are not doing much yet. I would love to see it freeze tonight but we will see in the A.M. sap was still coming in around 6:30 got around a 3rd of gallon per tap best run so far but nothing to get to excited about. Maybe the rain will get them all warmed up and then the next freeze thaw we may have some flooding.

BRL
03-26-2015, 06:16 AM
We collected about 100 gallons yesterday and boiled it off last night. Hopefully next boil we can start drawing off!!

Maple Ridge
03-26-2015, 08:33 AM
One small bunch we tap (40 taps) is running 4%, and when we gathered our 30 buckets today, we had 4%. All the sap combined is a strong 3.1%, no complaints on sugar content. Quantity however, is still lacking. Even with today's good conditions we only brought in 250 gallons or so. The buckets on the north side of the trees aren't running yet, so season is still early, hoping it doesn't come all at once and be done.

I have read a couple of posts that mention sugar %. At the first of the year I was only getting 1 to 1.5%. Last night when I collected I checked the %. I thought my refractometer was out of calibration so I recalibrated. I was getting 4 to 4.5%. That is the most I ever seen for my trees. Checked the holding tank and 3% average. At 3% that id 28.6 gal to 1. I would like to get that for awhile.

Revi
03-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Nice! We are getting from 2-2 and a quarter percent, but that's better than 1 and a half we got at the beginning of the season. We are boiling today, with the pans sweetened, so we might just make some syrup today! We need some badly! We are out from Maple Sunday.

It's time!

Chicopee Sap Shack
03-26-2015, 11:10 AM
Boiled last night had 90 gallons total. Buckets were at 3.2 and the vacuum was at 2.2. No freeze up last night hopefully today it runs just as good!!!!

Atgreene
03-27-2015, 06:29 PM
I have read a couple of posts that mention sugar %. At the first of the year I was only getting 1 to 1.5%. Last night when I collected I checked the %. I thought my refractometer was out of calibration so I recalibrated. I was getting 4 to 4.5%. That is the most I ever seen for my trees. Checked the holding tank and 3% average. At 3% that id 28.6 gal to 1. I would like to get that for awhile.. We usually get 3% on the pipeline, the roadside ones are all 4+. That is right where they should be. We've been thinning out less sweet trees for 50+ years. All the work my father did in the 60's, 70's & 80's is paying off, we just need to keep with it. It's amazing what thinning out the less sweet ones and the non maples does for the canopy/sugar content.

twitch
03-28-2015, 04:25 AM
5:30 in the morning and 33 degrees another night with no freeze. I got the sap blues.

Atgreene
03-28-2015, 06:07 AM
Going to be close, might have just froze enough to run. Tonight it will freeze.

A little write-up about my father and our sugar house.
https://mainedreams.wordpress.com/2015/03/27/ted-greene-greene-maple-farm/

abbott
03-28-2015, 06:34 AM
No luck here either. 31* at my house, thought I'd be in good shape down the hill at the sap house. 32.9* down there, no signs of any icing in the lines. Guess I should have put more gas in the pump last night. Its getting hard to be patient.

Dustin
03-28-2015, 04:42 PM
So, since this is my first season, I'm curious how much more or less sap everyone in Maine is seeing. I expected to have a lot more sap than I'm getting!

abbott
03-28-2015, 06:54 PM
So, since this is my first season, I'm curious how much more or less sap everyone in Maine is seeing. I expected to have a lot more sap than I'm getting!

More than at this time last year. Ask again in two or three weeks - the season has just begun!

Welcome to the Trader!

Jal-Bear
03-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Today was the best it has run for me so far this season. Ended up collecting 45 gallons and most of my red maples that have not given up a drop yet were running fairly well this afternoon. Weather looks good this week, bring on the sap!

abbott
03-28-2015, 07:07 PM
No luck here either. 31* at my house, thought I'd be in good shape down the hill at the sap house. 32.9* down there, no signs of any icing in the lines. Guess I should have put more gas in the pump last night. Its getting hard to be patient.

Update: The temperature did keep dropping until about 10 am, so I had at least a partial freeze and the trees ran better than expected, but not great. Seems like anywhere that it got just a bit colder than here should have had a decent run today.

mainline
03-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Today is the first it started to run half decent. Probably got 7 or 8 hundred gallons. With every thing that we had so far this year and todays sap it was enough to sweeten the pans and put 10 gallons of syrup in the canner. It was dark and tasted good .No of flavor like some are saying they are getting of the first runs of sap this year.

Maple Ridge
03-29-2015, 03:29 PM
Finally today it ran good. Buckets are dripping the way I like to see them to do, and the tubing is a steady stream. If I could get the next two weeks like today I would be able to fill my orders this year. Sap @ 2 and 3%. Snow fleas are killing me this year. I have never seen so many. Anyone else having issues with them.

eagle lake sugar
03-29-2015, 04:36 PM
We're really just getting started here. The sap is still around 1.7% and only 300 to 400 gallons a day. I'm thinking this week the flood gates will open.

Revi
03-30-2015, 10:57 AM
We've been boiling and sweetening the pan, but tonight we are going to pour off finally. It is the latest we have ever started making syrup. Better late than never!

West Sumner Sugar
03-30-2015, 12:28 PM
We've been boiling and sweetening the pan, but tonight we are going to pour off finally. It is the latest we have ever started making syrup. Better late than never!

I agree, usually we are cleaning up at this time of the year. We pulled our 1st 4 gallons of syrup yesterday.

twitch
03-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Got in some good boiling time today made 9 gallons brings my total to 17 hoping the wind is not to strong tomorrow and the flood begins.

Revi
03-31-2015, 07:04 AM
We're making some more today, and maybe tomorrow too. It's finally maple season.

West Sumner Sugar
03-31-2015, 12:46 PM
Check your lines and buckets boys...its running good today!

Chicopee Sap Shack
04-01-2015, 06:14 AM
After working at the fire house monday I came home yesterday to an overflowing vacuum tank and several buckets overflowing finally. Filled the head tank and the trailer tank was full with the vacuum tank overflowing again and not all the buckets gathered. Solution? I had to go get a new vacuum tank. Canner filled up last night at 11 so I shut down and took today off from work to get the tank set can syrup and boil today's expected tsunami. Ohh and I made a deal to sell the evaporator and by a new one for next year. Now the hard question..... Cross flow or revolution syrup pan. Any thoughts?

Revi
04-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Well, we had a full tank and boiled last night until 9:30, just like the night before. We bottle as we go, so that's good now that the pan is turning out syrup nearly ready.

maineboiler
04-01-2015, 11:24 AM
It's on. Great last 2 days for sap which is crystal clear. About 10 gallons of syrup waiting to be finished. It's been a lot of work and waiting but it looks like it will be worth it

efoyt
04-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Ok...temps coming back up. Where does this season go from here? Educated predictions from people with experience would be helpful. Thanks

Atgreene
04-03-2015, 06:13 AM
This brief warmup may lower the grade, but next week looks like more sap weather. Every night below freezing is another day to make syrup.

eustis22
04-03-2015, 07:46 AM
lower the grade? Does that mean that what comes out when its warm shouldn't be mixed with what came out cold?

Atgreene
04-03-2015, 08:42 AM
This brief warm spell might cause your grade to drop from light to medium or medium to dark. Warm weather brings on bacteria, keep everything clean and boil as soon as possible. 60° weather will spoil sap fast. After tomorrow, it looks good, wash your tanks and it may lighten a grade. We went from a medium up to a light this week.

bees1st
04-03-2015, 06:05 PM
This is a mere hiccup . Plenty more to come.

West Sumner Sugar
04-05-2015, 07:10 PM
Had a great weekend of boiling and bottling. We were 1 pint short of 14 gallons in the bottle for the weekend. Grade was nice and light...honestly probably the lightest we have ever made. We were pretty happy. Hoping for another good week or two to go. Here is a sample from Saturdays bottling.

Run Forest Run!
04-05-2015, 07:13 PM
How beautiful! Love the glassware.

twitch
04-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Have been burning some wood got some nice runs this passed week went to collect to day about 4:30 there wasn't a real lot of sap in the tank but the sap was running like crazy i think it must have got started late this morning. Total so far 49 gallons. Hoping for some more cold nights.

gmcooper
04-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Have been busy as today was our 10th boil. Gaining on last years total which was not all that impressive. Looking to double that this year. Weather looks like it should be possible.

Revi
04-13-2015, 09:05 AM
We pulled the taps this weekend and called it a season. it turned out to be better than last year! And we had a lot of fun!

BRL
04-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Same as Revi here. Pulled taps this weekend boiled every down, drained the evaporator, got everything to syrup and ran it through the filter press. Just need to bottle and get a final total but we should be pushing 30 gallons.

Revi
04-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Pulling taps on snowshoes was rough on Sunday. The snow had the consistency of a slushy, and I went into small streams a couple of times.
It was a pretty good workout though!

East Branch Farm
04-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Buds are pretty swollen after the last two days here in Durham. Last two days have given us very little sap. Looks like we are done. Bottling our last batch tomorrow!

Chicopee Sap Shack
04-14-2015, 05:01 AM
Pulled taps on Saturday boiled 9 hrs and still had to dump sap at the end. Vacuum taps finished at 1.5%. Made 49 gallons quite an improvement from 16 gallons last year. Time to clean up now

Smrdc1974
04-14-2015, 07:06 AM
I also pulled Saturday... I still have over 60 gallons to finish this week. Hopefully the sap stays cool in the garage for the week.. Season total about 8 gallons. One thing I did learn this year is that I need a larger evaporator...... Thinking about a 2x3 mason. I could only get my system to peak at 2.5 gph which made for some long weekends. But, I was worth it..... Till next year.....

maineboiler
04-16-2015, 10:35 AM
We pulled our taps this past Sunday. The season started slowly but he the last 2-3 weeks was crazy, it was hard to keep up with the sap. Collected 1300 gallons overall and it was almost all clear. Still working on bottling, but it looks like we will end up with about 25 gallons, mostly amber and dark robust.
I may try to consoidate more next year, this is mostly a one man operation and I got a little worn down collecting in the evening and boiling at night.The day job gets in the way. I probably have made all the mistakes you can make maple sugaring so I guess I am learning. Still having fun but it will be good to put it away for awhile

eagle lake sugar
04-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Today is the first big run here. It's coming in at around 200-250 gph. It looks like a late night boil.

twitch
04-16-2015, 08:13 PM
All done here chased the sweet into syrup pan will get out the turkey frier tomorrow and finish it off finally made some dark syrup stayed " Amber Rich" almost the whole season was some really nice sap. I am very happy with my season think I will be right near 80 gallons of syrup. My best year so far. Next years plan more wood, more taps, faster more efficient evaporator make more syrup in the same amount of time would like to hit the 100 gallon mark.

Jal-Bear
04-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Finished and bottled last batch this past Monday. In the process of getting everything cleaned and put away. Ended up with a little over 20 gallons, all amber. Time to start planning for next year!

Revi
04-17-2015, 07:13 AM
I have spent the last week catching up on all the things I didn't have time to do during sugaring. Like sleep, go to the bank, the dump, the two antique booths we have, fix things and generally have an afternoon to get stuff done.