PDA

View Full Version : Yes, it's another barrel boiler! But it's mine!

flyyer
02-16-2015, 09:29 PM
Well made my fist run on my newly completed barrel evaporator. First observation I need more combustion air, even with the door opened, it just won't chug chug. The day was terrible, started snowing, wind blowing 35 mph. Actual boil rate was better with the turkey cooker and steam table pans. Main thing is I had fun!1065910660

SeanD
02-17-2015, 06:56 AM
You are probably cutting an ash door/air inlet in it as I write this. Make sure your stack is at least 6' feet and take the cap off the top of it. If you are worried about sparks, just move further away from the house.

Sean

TerryEspo
02-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Ya, no reason why that unit should not burn like heck !!

Like Sean said, good stack height, dry wood, place wood cr
iss-cross-not all lengthways, no damper on stack if you had one, cant see in pic and finally a good air intake.

Let us know how you make out with it.

Good luck.

Terry

dblact38
02-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Did you line the inside walls of the barrel with bricks? and or sand on the bottom also is there a way you can hook up a fan on the bottom under the door way for force air? Goodluck

flyyer
02-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Yes, It's brick lined, stack is high, wood is dry, but going to split it smaller. Just got in some 1" X 1/4" angle to enclose pans like the arch in the picture.
I found some cast iron radiator for grating and I'm going to bring in AUF from the rear of the drum. Cutting and welding tomorrow.

RC Maple
02-26-2015, 07:40 AM
That looks a lot like my evaporator. I had the local metal shop flare the sides up just like yours but I had them stretch it a foot also. I had them make a 2x3 divided pan with a draw off and a port for a thermometer that sits in a channel on top though and not down inside. Good luck with your fabrication.

Lukie
02-26-2015, 07:53 AM
If you add cement blocks around the out side it keeps the heat in and you can stand close and not be hot this barrel stove was made by a local high school works great 10760