PDA

View Full Version : Maple shine

Agb
02-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Any thoughts on making maple syrup moonshine?

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-17-2015, 03:48 AM
Waste of good syrup

Clarkfield Farms
02-17-2015, 04:42 AM
But it's a GREAT way to get yourself three hots and a cot for the next 3-5 years... Now if you keep the conversation to acerglyn - fermented maple syrup (reduced to about 21%-23% sugar, OR just boiling the sap to that sugar concentration and then fermenting) - you wouldn't have crossed to the dark (syrup, pun intended) side.

If you think NYC is insane about sending cops after "street vendors" selling untaxed loosies, nothing can prepare you for what the ATF/IRS et al will do to get their (proposed) $16/gallon Proof Tax. And then the States get their own cut on top of that... Remember your history? A war was even fought over this. Yes, in this country. And 'twas the venerable George Washington himself that came crashing down on those that made the spirits.

https://www.cbo.gov/budget-options/2013/44854
http://www.mountvernon.org/research-collections/digital-encyclopedia/article/whiskey-rebellion/
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/641925/Whiskey-Rebellion

Sorry, just a sensitive topic; in fact, on the wine- & beer-making forums, even mentioning distillation will get the thread deleted and possibly the member kicked out. Non-distilled ethanol production is legal in the US and most states (governed by each state), with restrictions. No "home" distillation is legal, except in a very few countries around the world, most notably New Zealand.

Who was at one time North America's largest vintner? Thomas Jefferson.
Who was at one time North America's most avid investor in "publick" breweries? Ben Franklin.
Who was at one time, for quite some time, North America's largest whiskey maker? George Washington.

- From the love child of Captain Obvious and Theresa Trivia: You're welcome. :D

spud
02-17-2015, 05:31 AM
I think Maple Shine would be great but 3 hots and a cot scare me.:o There are countless people in my area that make shine. If you make a little for your family and friends the law will not come after you. I had a cop tell me that as long as you leave a gallon on his porch everything will be fine.:)

Spud

Moser's Maple
02-17-2015, 05:56 AM
i always thought in NY you can make as long it is self consumption and not for resale. at least that's what the local sheriff told me when i asked about doing a batch for myself.

DrTimPerkins
02-17-2015, 07:14 AM
No "home" distillation is legal, ....

Interestingly, even concentration of the alcohol by freezing (such as in "Apple Jack") is considered a form of distillation, and is thus illegal.

markct
02-17-2015, 07:41 AM
I like to blend dark syrup with legal moonshine from Onyx Distillers. Makes a delicious shot indeed. Hickory Ledges Farm Distillers also make an excelent maple blended moonshine. I believe if you use syrup as the sugar in making the moonshine little if any flavor comes thru thats why its blended in after

whity
02-17-2015, 09:29 AM
I take 1 cup of syrup and add it to 1 quart of legal shine. Very smooth..:D

Agb
02-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Thanks. This is basically what I was asking. Maybe I didn't word it quite right.

Jmsmithy
02-17-2015, 11:12 AM
1. Swirl nice shot of dark syrup in two fingers of good bourbon

2. Light nice fire in your wood stove/fireplace etc.

3. :)

:lol::lol::cool:

markct
02-17-2015, 11:22 AM
We consume so much maple shine that i even got shotglasses made up with the sugarhouse name this year!

Tidajo
02-17-2015, 06:09 PM
1. Swirl nice shot of dark syrup in two fingers of good bourbon

2. Light nice fire in your wood stove/fireplace etc.

3. :)

:lol::lol::cool:

4. Repeat...

n8hutch
02-17-2015, 08:31 PM
I also know some folks who know some folks that make moonshine. Some of them boys are pretty talented. I don't know what their cost is per quart but if that stuff was legal everyone would be A drunk. Seriously though I am going to try that shot when I go in the house if my wife didn't drink all the bourbon.

Cabin
02-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Honest it is just ethanol to run the vacuum pumps!!

Clarkfield Farms
02-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Aha! Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about mixing syrup with legal 'shine. :D

Interestingly, even concentration of the alcohol by freezing (such as in "Apple Jack") is considered a form of distillation, and is thus illegal.

Yessir. ALSO, and very important - any sensible distiller throws away (or uses for paint remover) the foreshots, which contain almost all the methanol and other toxic substances (like ethanol ISN'T toxic??? :o), whereas concentration, by freezing or other processes, leaves those same impurities in the mix and WILL increase the amount of those toxins to potentially lethal levels. Not smart...

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2015, 10:03 AM
... which contain almost all the methanol and other toxic substances (like ethanol ISN'T toxic??? :o)...

This depends upon the starting sugar source and the yeast used. Pure grain or sugar-produced alcohols will contain only very small (trace) amounts of methanol if the right yeast is used, whereas fruit-based fermentation cultures, especially with certain yeasts, and especially with high temperature fermentation to high alcohol levels, will form higher amounts of methanol. Many fruit juices (non-alcoholic) actually contain some amount of methanol due to natural fermentation....just not enough to harm you. Fermentation of maple sap or syrup alone would produce very little methanol.

markct
02-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Dr Tim is the fountain of knowledge indeed very greatful to have him a part of our community.

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2015, 10:41 AM
...very greatful to have him a part of our community.

You're making me blush....for my part, sugarmakers are a darn fine group of people to hang out with.

maplestudent
02-19-2015, 01:01 PM
I can't help but imagine a reality TV series....something like Backyard to Bigtime Sugarmakers, chronicling sugarmaking operations and the methods/equipment they employ, from the ghetto-like contraptions that some of us (like me) use to the state-of-the-art technology, and everything in between. And in the middle, connecting all the dots and making sense of the science behind it all (or lack thereof in some instances) stars Dr. Tim.

WI Sugarpop
02-19-2015, 01:26 PM
I can't help but imagine a reality TV series....something like Backyard to Bigtime Sugarmakers, chronicling sugarmaking operations and the methods/equipment they employ, from the ghetto-like contraptions that some of us (like me) use to the state-of-the-art technology, and everything in between. And in the middle, connecting all the dots and making sense of the science behind it all (or lack thereof in some instances) stars Dr. Tim.

How about Maple Dynasty.:lol:

Kbrooks80
02-19-2015, 01:28 PM
That sounds like a great idea.

markct
02-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Im gona have to grow a beard

Clarkfield Farms
02-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Maple Mafia. Oh wait, Quebec already has that one sewn up!!! :D
Maple Leafs - DARN!!! A hockey team's messing THAT one up... sorry fans!!! :o
"MAPLE MEN"!!!! No, no, that won't do, plenty of maple ladies too...
Maple Saps it is, then! ;)

maplestudent
02-20-2015, 04:55 AM
Grow a beard......definitely

I like Maple Saps......in a way it's kind if self explanatory

sugarridge48
02-20-2015, 03:18 PM
Hay guys in canton ct Hickory Ledges Farm produces legal moonshine . They came out with maple last year .Good stuff but not cheap. You can buy it at a lot of the local liquor stores.

markct
02-20-2015, 04:13 PM
It is good but why buy other folks syrup blended with shine, save a bit and buy Onyx straight moonshine and blend it with your own syrup thats what i do!

Pablo
03-07-2015, 09:28 AM
When I was real young we would go to the Farm (Dad's family farm). In spring we would go and visit the sugar shack, a relative was the master of the evaporator, he did all the boiling. There was always a bottle of Canadian Club (and some beer) in the snow. I'm not sure of the mix proportions but they would scoop of some boiling sap, somewhere in the middle to the end of the evaporator and mix it with the CC.
Some years ago you could buy a maple rye mix in Ontario that was real good.
I guess I need to get some rye when I start to boil an see what the proportions were.

Jonnyp390
03-07-2015, 10:29 AM

Or we could call it Liquid Gold Rush. Every week, it would be "do or die" in the Hoffman's Sugar Shack as they try to save their season and make it to their goal of 1000 ounces!

sirsloop
03-07-2015, 10:38 AM
I was thinking about maple wine... once you have the wine you're only a few hours away from some shine!! Boil sap until you're at about a 1.120 SG, ferment down to .999-1.000, and run it! Pot still would preserve the most flavor...

hogisland42
03-09-2015, 12:36 PM
I know a guy who makes shine out of the concentrate from ro. Not from the syrup. It will warm you up!