PDA

View Full Version : vac ideas for my new bush

D&D Maple
02-16-2015, 07:24 PM
I just set up a brand new sugarbush with about 600 taps in it. Ive worked around vacuum pumps on larger sugaring operations but that's it. So I am trying to figure out what I should get. I have no power to the location, so it seems like a gas powered one may be a good idea. After installing new pipeline I probabl can't afford a brand new one! So with that being said anything ideas to put me I the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Also if someone on here has something on here that may work let me know! Thanks

maple flats
02-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Start with an old dairy pump on a gas engine and you will need a releaser, or use a larger Guzzler and no releaser needed. One question might be how big could you get at that location in the number of taps? If you can grow very much, you will be better off with option 1, if the 600 is close to the max. possible, then either 1 or 2. If you go with 1, you can then use the old dairy pump a year or more, then change to a true maple vacuum pump to get higher vacuum. If you go with option 2 your limited in vacuum level but it will get you into vacuum at a lower price. If you go with 2, be sure to order the Guzzler rated for up to 800 taps and not a smaller unit.

BreezyHill
02-17-2015, 09:21 AM
I would visit the classified here as there was a Delaval 75 with a gas motor. I have a D75 on elec that I rebuilt and she pulls 27-28. Great maple pump. If you have a very tight system then you could use a D 73. These pumps have an oil reservoir and built in heat exchanging frame. So easy to modify for oil dripper in the inlet. A gas Motor with elec start and you put a 12 v fan blowing on the pump for added cooling on those warm end of season days. Below is an ebay link to a suitable temp and relay unit for a 12v fan. Visit your local auto recycler for a fan for a few bucks. Otherwise a shelter with a screened opening directly below the pump and plenty of opening above will make a chimney draft affect and cool the unit well also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Digital-LED-Temperature-Controller-Temp-w-Sensor-Thermostat-Control-Relay-/121438977331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4653bd33

On warm days I have a box fan on a temp controller set for 190. I don't have time to always check on the pumps so the $20 controller from ebay does it for me.

Ben