KING MAPLE
02-16-2015, 05:09 PM
at what temp should you not tap so you donot do damage to the tree or tap hole

psparr
02-16-2015, 05:15 PM
It doesn't matter.

brookledge
02-16-2015, 06:19 PM
As psparr said it can be done at any temperature. however the tree may split a little over or under the hole if you pound the tap in to much. If you are using stainless or steel tap, it might be easier to split the tree from over hitting it but with most using lightweight disposable spouts that only need the slightest pounding it is not likely. If you are at all concerned you could do your tapping and lightly set the tap and then come back and tap any that are leaking at a later time. If and when you do split the tree then you will not be able to seal the hole if using vacuum.
I have been using a small plastic deadblow hammer for years with good luck.
Keith

nacc
02-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Hi All
is it common to have the sap leak out around taps? or am I doing somthing wrong

psparr
02-24-2015, 11:15 AM
At first you will get a little. After a couple days if it still leaks, then the hole isn't round. I had problems with it my first 2 years. Then I bought a tapping bit. won't ever look back.

Also when drilling the hole, go in full speed and don't let off the trigger till the bit is out of the tree.

nacc
02-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the info--is there really a differance between a regular drill bit and a tapping bit?

asknupp
02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Yes you'd be surprised. I thought the same thing. In and out full speed leaving a clean hole.

maple flats
02-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info--is there really a difference between a regular drill bit and a tapping bit?
There's a huge difference. That is one place where the higher price is worth it, it is not just the same bit marked up higher. A tapping bit is designed to cut a clean neat hole in a live tree, regardless of whether it is frozen or thawed. It will also cut holes longer. I have a Drill Doctor to sharpen bits, but after sharpening tapping bits they are placed into other duty, I only use good tapping bits to tap.

psparr
02-24-2015, 11:20 PM
with a regular wood bit, you're pushing like mad to make a hole. With a tapping bit you've got yourself ready to pull back as soon as it touches the tree, cause you think it's gonna come out the other side!

Vic99
02-27-2015, 08:51 PM
How deep should you go?

psparr
02-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Shoot for 1-1/2"

Ewesfull Acres
03-02-2015, 04:35 PM
I/and my son, have just finished our new lines in place of buckets, What might we expect per tap in sap volume on average, Our runs consist of 25 taps on 5/16. Running slight pitch to mainline to small diaphragm pump,(claims 25+ inches Hg,) One 3/16 line with twenty taps with great pitch. One 3/16 line with fifteen taps on pretty good pitch and one 5/16 line with 18 taps to drum with not bad pitch. I really don't have any idea yet!! Thanks for your help,,