PDA

View Full Version : Just Wondering

Brad W Wi
01-28-2007, 04:48 PM
I have built my sugar shack on a 40 I own a mile from my place. I'm wondering how many out there have their setup away from their house a ways and if there have been any problems and how you handled them. I just built mine this summer and I'm already concerned about a bear problem. I'm thinking of running electric fence around the place with the insulators actually on the building. Any ideas on this pro or con?

Fred Henderson
01-28-2007, 05:00 PM
All the hunting camps around here are ilke that. Some have even put a lot of nails in a board and turned it up side down on the outside of a window sill.

mountainvan
01-28-2007, 07:48 PM
If you keep it clean, no spilled syrup or garbage, the bears will leave it alone. Here in the Catskills they only become problems because of someone leaving something around the bears want to eat.

Sugarmaker
01-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Might want to check out the Critter Gitter in most bee catalogs. I just saw one advertised in BetterBee. They are motion detectors that sound a alarm and have lights too. Battery operated, and Auto reset about $100 for the enhanced version. Page 58 in new catalog.
www.betterbee.com
Chris

Dave Y
01-28-2007, 08:20 PM
The bears I our area only eat garbage and raid bird feeders. If you dont leave anything lying around they shouldn't bother. I wuold be more concerned about two legged vermin.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't worry about furry bears, just the human bears as mine is 30 minutes away and sits right on the main road. Already had several beer bottles and gravels spun all over my garage door so far. :twisted:

brookledge
01-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Brandon
Whats a bear bottle look like? :) :P
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2007, 09:10 PM
:oops: :oops: Guess since I have never bought it, I didn't even know how to spell it. :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: