PDA

View Full Version : sap sucker set up help

tuckermtn
01-28-2007, 03:29 PM
I currently have on loan a sapsucker type pump and am looking for help setting it up. the pump I have is a Masterflex ColePalmer head that has three pump heads piggybacked together. all three pump heads have tubing attached to manifolds (one in, one out) I'm planning on running this on 140 taps and wondering if I should use all three pump heads or two or one? The manufacturer was not very helpfull with my technical questions.

not sure whether its one head or three does it still pull the same vacuum- and are the additional pump heads are for more sap volume?

any help is appreciated...

-eric

802maple
01-28-2007, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't change a thing, run all three as they do not create a lot of vacuum. The one thing they do is the more the sap is running the more vacuum they produce, as they need liquid to make good vacuum. Also your system needs to be absolutely tight

tuckermtn
01-28-2007, 09:29 PM
follow up question- when folks speak of a "really tight system", are there standard things that make a system tighter than others...do you double up clamps on Y's and junctions, or do something different with saddles? are the cut-in type fittings w/ star manifolds better than saddles when you run vacuum, etc? anything different w/ laterals?

thanks...

802maple
01-29-2007, 06:47 AM
What I mean by a very tight system is that as few leaks as humanly possible. Basically speaking attention to detail. This set up that you have doesn't create many cfm's so a small leak can create lager problem than a typical pump. As long as you keep this system "tight" it will work fine. Don't panic just use it as it is

Pete33Vt
01-30-2007, 04:07 AM
One thing I have noticed to keep systems "tight" is to not use a lighter or torch to repair 5/16 line. It screws up the memory in the tubing and it will not shrink back and create a good seal. I have found many vacuum leaks caused by this. So a one handed repair tool or some other means to repair is best.

802maple
01-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Also to add to what pete said a flame will break down any uv protection that is in the plastic and it will be come brittle at that point in some period of time

jmattice
03-13-2007, 06:54 AM
I also have a pump on loan just to try out. It is a sap puller pump. Is that the same as asap sucker? I'm not sure its going to be big enough. Any info on a sap puller would be appreciated.