PDA

View Full Version : Franklin County

Big Daddy
02-15-2015, 06:21 AM
We won't be tapping for a while if this kind of weather and temps continue.

WESTMAPLES
02-15-2015, 06:41 AM
i know right, well atleast its buying me more time to do improvements to what i already have and make a few new additions to my already shinny collection of tools.

Big Daddy
02-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Yeah, My son and I have been in the woods doing what we can when the temps allow. We put up a main line this year at two sights. Looking forward to see how that all works out. Lots of snow. Taps will be 5' up the tree.

WESTMAPLES
02-16-2015, 06:45 AM
same here trying to work is tough, between the snow and cold its slow going here, ive been adding dry lines in 2 of my bushes trying to maximize sap production and keeping my eyes open for any new equipment that will be used full - most recently stainless insulated milk tanks have been my upgrades, plastic tote tanks that i have work but upgrading is the name of the game to keep our operations moving forward to a more fda friendly syrup production and there easier to clean

Big Daddy
02-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Our operation is around 400 taps, mostly all in plastic totes as our collection is limited to equp. But it all works. This is going to be our 3rd year of production with hopes of around 100 gallons of product. We purchased a h2o last year{2x6} and could not be happier with the unit. I agree with the cleaning end, but it sure makes a difference in you end product.
]
same here trying to work is tough, between the snow and cold its slow going here, ive been adding dry lines in 2 of my bushes trying to maximize sap production and keeping my eyes open for any new equipment that will be used full - most recently stainless insulated milk tanks have been my upgrades, plastic tote tanks that i have work but upgrading is the name of the game to keep our operations moving forward to a more fda friendly syrup production and there easier to clean

WESTMAPLES
02-16-2015, 11:06 AM
yeah sounds like we are doing about the same thing, i started out my first year just seeing if it was still for me or not, since i sugared alot as a kid with friends and loved it ( other than carrying buckets thru knee deep snow . so year 1 i setup 100 plus taps on tubing, built a homemade oil tank arch with 2x3 divided pan, 2hp gas in pump,2- new totes,made great syrup all by myself, then found mapletrader and learned i wasn`t the only 25 year old with the disease. last year ( second year) i bought my leader 2x6, 10 in filter, 2-more new tote tanks, 2 vac pumps with bender releasers, main line, 200 more taps, 17 gal homemade finisher, and flue pan hood with ss stack, 1 and 2 handed tubing tools, ect. and this year ive added 3- ss insulated tank, 1-new vac pump,100 more taps, leader 15 gal bottler, wet/ dry system in the woods, just waiting to buy or rent more property to expand on my tap count

Big Daddy
02-16-2015, 07:31 PM
It doesn't end when your starting out. After attending a few shows and seminars you should have this and have that, it's endless. Sometimes I wish I was back outside with the little 2x3 makin 8 gallons. Now it's 100's of taps looking into vac systems, RO. But boy when that sugar bug bites you I think it not going away very easy.

log cabin luke
02-17-2015, 08:20 PM
I think the season will be here before we know it. I will be tapping in Colrain next Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't want to be caught off guard with 2300 holes to drill. Last year I tapped about feb 20th and the taps were still going strong on April 14th. I shut off the pump and called it a season even though I think it would have gone another few days. 15 hour work days here I come!

Big Daddy
02-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Goin to the woods today. Agree the weather is going to change real soon. We were tapping last year I believe the 24th. Still a lot of work in the forest to be done. Can't wait to see that steam and that smell.