PDA

View Full Version : Having a T in mainline ???

TerryEspo
02-14-2015, 07:39 PM
Is it o k to have a T in 1/2" mainline? Or if a T is not allowed can I bend my mainline so that it is not a straight direct line?

I am staring at my trees wondering how to get mainline close without using miles of 5/16 laterals. I intent to use my new Shurflow pump with this line.

At best I will have 30-40 taps into this line.

Thanks for any opinions.

Terry

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Any fittings will impede flow so it is best not to use them unless absolutely necessary. your mainline is ok to bend as long as it is a gradual curve and no kinking.

Russell Lampron
02-15-2015, 05:47 AM
Like Doug said if you put a bend in it it is better than putting in a fitting. You can put the bend in with tie back wires. If I were setting a system like that up I would use 3/4" mainline instead of 1/2". They make manifolds to fit 3/4" pipe and don't make them for 1/2" and you will get better vacuum transfer with the 3/4" pipe too. I have a small section with only 18 taps on it with a 3/4" mainline so it won't be overkill to put 30 to 40 taps on one.

TerryEspo
02-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Thanks Guys for letting me know that.

Russ, I was told about using 3/4" instead of 1/2" but I just bought 300 ft of 1/2" and have a member sending me some saddles for 1/2". This will be my first year trying a real mainline that is longer than 20ft. lol. If all goes well, I will probably next year buy 3/4" and use the 1/2" for small little areas.

Does anyone here have any 1/2" saddles for sale, I would pay the shipping to Michigan ?? Looking for even 5-15 of them.

Thanks.

Terry

BreezyHill
02-15-2015, 08:32 AM

You can do anything you want with these lines. In the pic I make a 90 degree turn on an old property line. The line is secured on both sides of the turn with tension grips to a single J hook.

I think I set a couple of tension grips in your box for you. You will also see another fitting that you can get from CDL that hooks 4 5/16 to the mainline.

Ben

TerryEspo
02-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Hi Ben:

That is a great pic, love it. I will do the same with my line this season, bend it and not put any T,s. That really helps a lot to see what you did.

Thanks.

Terry