PDA

View Full Version : Pocahontas County WV 2015

Frostmore Farm
02-13-2015, 11:28 PM
We started putting out our taps on 2/6/15 - this year we transitioned from a 100% bucket operation and now have over 1000 on tubing. We have only been able to tap about 700 of these and haven't got to put out any of our planned buckets and sap sacks due to DROWNING IN SAP. (We know there could be worse problems). So far already, there have been 2 all-nighters, luckily we have lots of volunteer help and some annual leave saved up at work. On Wednesday, we boiled for 20 hours solid. Our current evaporator situation - a new 3x10 raised flue evaportator that is boiling around 100gph - however all the necessesary parts have not been delivered, the preheater and the steam hood are not functional yet. We have made ~38 gallons of amber syrup which was actually pretty tasty! We were worried it would taste like plastic being a new tubing set-up.

At this point we are SERIOUSLY considering purchasing an RO - and very soon.....we had planned to try and do this next year but it doesn't seem viable to wait.

220 maple
02-14-2015, 03:41 AM
Welcome aboard Frostmore Farm, did you get vacuum to the 1000 taps? We have not drowned in sap yet, we have boiled 8 times so far. My cousin near Franklin told me yesterday that it was all he could do to keep up with Wednesday's run! He was getting over 400 gallons of sap an hour. He has several barrels setting around already and went and picked up more barrels from the bulk buyer.
I'm hoping to get another 400 to 500 taps open today and tomorrow, unless the snow and the brutal temps slow me down. I have one of Dr. Schuler's students helping me today. He is a 2nd cousin and is taking the Maple Syrup class as a elective. Give me a call sometime if you have time. Good luck! Also thanks for doing the Small Farms Conference class at Charleston.

Mark 220 Maple

Frostmore Farm
02-14-2015, 08:30 AM
We got our vacuum and it is amazing! I'm excited to get to go to the Small Farm Conference. I've wanted to go for a few years now. We'll try to give you a call this weekend since we are all caught up until the next run. Glad to hear people your way are doing well.