View Full Version : copper fudge kettle for boiling sap

Jonl
02-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Hi I have a copper fudge kettle
is it safe to boil my sap in it there is no solder in it
Thank you

CampHamp
02-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Just fine. Since copper conducts heat so well, you'll want extra attention to keep the flame from the edges or it will burn sugars at the water line.

Sugarmaker
02-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Yes you should be good to go. Make us some good maple fudge before or after the syrup.
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
02-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Back about 50- years ago or so, Leader made some copper evaporators. They boiled very fast, but alas, that was in the days before lead free solder. The copper will not hurt the syrup in any way.

Jonl
02-13-2015, 08:11 PM
Thanks to all for responding. Just made my 1st batch 12 gallons of sap boiled down to 1 qt + 1 pt of syurp. But i had to take it to 222 degrees "the bubbles where coming up the sides of the pan for just a second" as 219 it was to thin after it cooled. Any ideas why it took that much more to turn into syurp? Also any suggestions for a good hydrometer. I have not made the boiler using the copper kettle yet so this was all done in a large canning pot.

psparr
02-14-2015, 04:53 AM
Any maple supply company will have a good hydrometer. You'll need a cup too. Syrup is a little funny when checking with a thermometer. It depends on the boiling point of water that particular day. But even then the temp still doesn't seem right. You'll like the hydrometer.
Congrats on your syrup! Your hooked now.

psparr
02-14-2015, 04:56 AM
One more quick note I thought of. If your comparing the thickness to store bought crap. It will seem a little thin compared to that.

Jonl
02-14-2015, 07:08 AM
Ok thank you i ordered a hydro yesterday and thanks for the tip . I was comparing to some maple syurp i bought