PDA

View Full Version : Lapierre end of line slide fitting

devils11217
02-12-2015, 04:29 PM
I would like to use these fittings on my lateral lines. Anyone have a picture of these in use. I would like to be able to wrap tubing around try and connect bac to hit Aelfric with a hook and also have a tail for a drop tube on the last tree

unc23win
02-12-2015, 05:51 PM
http://www.sugaringequipment.elapierre.com/down/234.pdf

I a lot of people are using the rubber strap instead if the plastic hook.

morningstarfarm
02-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Would suggest not using them at the tree....I would and do use an IPL end fitting that has that hook...then cut a tee into it so that the sap from your last tap doesn't have to go around the tree...they even make a nifty ont way tee for that connection so that the line is empty. I found that the straight shot you get is much better and the fittings are cheaper than the one you want to use now...I do use that fitting at my main lines...works well...good luck

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-12-2015, 07:40 PM
I haven't used those before but the hook on the wire without a connection sounds good. For the tree, I completely agree with Morningstar. I haven't used these on the tree either, so I am not speaking from experience. But I can't imagine a more efficient or cheaper way that I do it now. End of line hook with a one way T. Simple and bullet proof. Even cuts down on squirrel holes since all the line that wraps around the tree is not apart of the system. I think it cost me 30-40 cents for an end of line set up. As morningstar pointed out, with this set up, there is no sap going around the tree.

With the fitting you are looking at, sap is always around the tree. When it leaves the tap hole, it goes down then has to travel slightly uphill to start heading down to the main lines. I can't see any advantage to this at all. My 2 cents.

Good luck..

Ben

spud
02-12-2015, 09:10 PM
I use the slide fittings on all my lines. If I had to rate them from one to ten I would give them a 5 at best. The problems I have with them is the end hook stretches out after a tree limb falls on the line. The other problem I have is once there on for a season it's almost impossible to loosen it up to take up some slack in the line. I just set up 3000 more taps and I did use them but only because I had 1000 of these left over from a couple of years ago. I would agree with morningstarfarm and just use the fake tee and then put in a drop.

Spud

adk1
02-12-2015, 09:17 PM
I have been using them to. I agree with all of your comments. As far as how hard they are to remove I just wrap them with my pliers and they move. I have also been using them at my end trees however kinda backwards. I have been using a piece of wire within old tubing, then I attach the slide fitting backwards leaving enlighten tubing to basically create a drop. I attach the slide fitting just using the small hook already on the fitting to the wire. Seems to work really well

markcasper
02-12-2015, 09:37 PM
I have been using them to. I agree with all of your comments. As far as how hard they are to remove I just wrap them with my pliers and they move. I have also been using them at my end trees however kinda backwards. I have been using a piece of wire within old tubing, then I attach the slide fitting backwards leaving enlighten tubing to basically create a drop. I attach the slide fitting just using the small hook already on the fitting to the wire. Seems to work really well agree 100% +1 Always had squirrel damage with end trees, with wire going around, instead of a live line, basically eliminated this problem.

Dennis H.
02-12-2015, 10:59 PM
The plastic hooks Suck! Get the strap thing.
I can't tell you how many of them I have found unhooked from the end tree due to the hook thing stretched out.

maplwrks
02-13-2015, 03:59 AM
I have used these at the tree and on the mainline. I am taking them off the tree and going back to the end fork fitting for my end tree. Squirrels alway chew on the backside of the end tree, causing major headaches during the season. This was my way of eliminating that problem. When you need to put up tubing in a hurry, there is nothing better in my opinion. You can run tubing with only a pair of cutters, no tubing tools...etc. I used the straps for the end tree and when i replaced them after 10 years, they were still holding well. I will agree with all of the comments posted above, once you install them, they are very difficult to work with.

K.I. Joe
02-13-2015, 04:07 AM
I used them and love them. Used the wire at the end tree. easy to remove after a season with a pair of fencing pliers.

batsofbedlam
02-13-2015, 07:27 AM
I love them for the fact that they eliminate 2 connectors on every lateral line and using them at the end tree gives you a great way of retensioning the 5/16 line.

spud
02-13-2015, 05:47 PM
I love them for the fact that they eliminate 2 connectors on every lateral line and using them at the end tree gives you a great way of retensioning the 5/16 line.

This is why I started using the slide fittings. Eliminating two connectors was why I went with them. I plan to buy some straps to replace the stretched hooks on several of my lines. I do have a small pair of pliers that i carry when in the woods working just in case I need to open a fitting and take up the slack.

Spud