PDA

View Full Version : Stack needed after base stack if boiling outside with blower

Forrest hunters
02-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Dumb questions I know, but I will be boiling outside this year on a 2x6 on wheels. This is a brand new evaporator from Smoky Lake and will have air tight door and blower on it. Just wondering if I need all the stack after the base stack when using a blower? Only reason I ask is that when not boiling I will be rolling this into the garage and do not want to remove the stack each time. Also with 12 feet of stack I don't want it blowing over during boiling if unsupported.

Just a thought, what do you think?

bowhunter
02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I think you will need the stack in order to generate enough draft so you can open the door and put wood in without flames coming out the door. I would suggest you do a test boil with water and no additional stack to see what happens before loading the evaporator up with sap.

bowhunter
02-11-2015, 11:27 AM
I think you will need the stack in order to generate enough draft in the evaporator so you can open the door to add wood without flames coming out the door. Do a test boil with water and no additional stack to see what happens before you start with sap.

mellondome
02-11-2015, 07:08 PM
You will not need additional stack as you are providing forced draft. You will want more stack as it will give a lot of the sparks a chance to finish burning before they are visible to your wife and neighbors. It will also keep ash out of your pans. You dont want to roll the evaporator back inside till it cools down anyway. So put a single section on.

Forrest hunters
02-12-2015, 11:03 AM
I was thinking about 1 section with an elbow heading away from pans to give it some draft and push sparks away from pans. I agree I need something to pull when I open the door to fire. Also yes my plan is to cover at night and roll into garage in morning when it is cool.

Sugarmaker
02-12-2015, 12:18 PM
I would be prepared to add more stack if you cant get it to boil properly.
May put a structure in the ground to set the evaporator up against. I would consider just covering and leave in same spot till done for the year. Sounds like a lot of work to move it around?
Regards,
Chris

TerryEspo
02-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Two sections (8ft.) screwed together with an elbow should be pretty easy to lift off daily, and be pretty stable when boiling with no further support.
Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Terry

CampHamp
02-12-2015, 07:04 PM
If your stack base is just sitting on the arch, like usual, then that thing will blow over. I bet a gust could knock over even an untethered base stack without the top length. It would be crazy trying to put that back on after a beer or two.

I use stainless wire (cheap from Harbor Freight) to keep a stack in place for an outside wood-fired tub. I made a loose circle around the middle of the stack, then I turned a pencil through that loop in three places to make it tight to the stack and provide tie-off loops for the 3 stay lines. Maybe there's a bolt on each side of the arch to hold to and then find a safe place behind where nobody can trip it... Test with some manual force in all directions to make sure it's solid before lighting up. Good luck!