PDA

View Full Version : cleaning rust on buckets

tuckermtn
01-27-2007, 07:15 PM
anyone have a good way of cleaning some mild rust off of galvanized buckets? trying to prep some for either a cold galvanizing touch-up or epoxy repaint and wasn;t sure if there were certain things to avoid cleaning galv. buckets with (i.e. bleach, mild acids, etc...)

hoping some soap and elbow grease will do the trick...or should I not worry about the rust and just paint right over it...?

thanks

tuckermtn

Fred Henderson
01-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Just get the loose off the surface and paint over what is left. A rough surface will hold the paint better. There is a thread in here somewhere that tells what kind of paint is safe.

royalmaple
01-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Tuckermtn, I think you'd be better off staying away from the soap. Kinda frowned upon in the maple industry for cleaning. If you need to clean you can use diluted bleech, and scrub it. But the soap is not a good idea.

Others may tell you they've washed with soap for 50 years and no problems, but I think you'd be better off not.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Funny, the new producers guide says wash with dish detergent like dawn. Same thing they said up at Verona a couple of years ago. When the speaker ask if it was ok, guess I was about the only one in the room out of probably 100 that was nodding yes along with him.

You wouldn't just rinse you dirty food plate with just water, then why do the same to buckets and tanks. Dawn detergent works great, just the old blue stuff. Just make sure you rinse it clean, no different than the dishes you eat off of. :D

Just another myth that has gotten passed down over the years probably from some dummy that didn't realize you had to rinse and made somebody sick. Wonder where his sign was. LOL

Fred Henderson
01-28-2007, 06:26 AM
When I use my bucket washer I use soap made for an auto dish washer that way I don't get all the suds. then rinse in clear water.

maplwrks
01-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Has anyone tasted soapy syrup before?

brookledge
01-28-2007, 08:28 AM
As for the soap. The biggest concern I'd have is not using it in the washing of felt filters. As for washing buckets or pans probably not a problem.
Although I feel just plain hot water is good enough for washing off sugar.
Dish detergent is designed to help release oils and grease and get them to suspend in the water. As long as you have only sugar on your pans I don't think detergent is necessary but it won't hurt either.
Keith

mountainvan
01-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Tuckr, I take a scrub pad, the nonsoap kind,(I do use dawn in the saphouse to clean returned gal. jugs from the pancake houses, etc) vacuum it out good and use the cold galvy compound. It works ok if you don't clean the buckets with a pressure washer, that will take it right off.

maplehound
01-28-2007, 04:34 PM
The Ohio Maple days was yeasterday. There is alot of concern in Ohio right now over Lead. The biggest culprit is Galvinized buckets and tanks. One thing they told us is to not paint them and think now your OK. There is no paint on the market ment for more than insidental food contact. Painting your buckets and tanks won't keep them from bleeding the lead into the sap and can further contaminate the sap.

Fred Henderson
01-28-2007, 05:04 PM
If Ohio wants to push the lead issue the I would purpose that the agency that is doing the pushing take all the lead solder pipe out of their public buildings.

maplehound
01-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Fred,
I agree!!!!!!!!! The state past this law over 10 years ago and is jest now going to enforce it. Even Vermont, the state that first pushed the isue, just has an action in place not a law. For now Ohio wants us to be under 250 ppb but if you ar over 20ppb and under 500ppb then you will recieve a letter informing you of your lead level and require you to submit a plan of action as to how you will lower it. If you are over 500ppb they have the right to destroy the syrup. So they recomend that we code all bottles we sell to the date of production and the date of botttleing. Since the state can only embargo or destroy the batch they tested, not all your syrup. However they can then require testing of the rest of your syrup as well.

maplehound
01-28-2007, 07:05 PM
I should also add that in 2007 the state only plans on testing about 50 samples.

Dave Y
01-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Sounds like the Ohio Maple Police will be doing some hiring. Mabye I could get a part time job.

brookledge
01-28-2007, 08:58 PM
If the destroy your syrup that test over 500 ppm., I'm sure they wont compensate you either. They should work with those who are high and offer sugestions or aide in getting rid of galvenized buckets and lead solder equipment.
I think that this lead issue will only continue to grow. And the maple industry should try to stay proactive vs. reactive. If you can do something to reduce your lead then try to do it.
If you are the customer and you find out that the person you have been buying from has been tested for high levels are you going to continue or will you look to another. Most will go to another.
That is why I feel that we should be doing things on our own now before big brother tells us that all of the syrup you made is over the limit and you are forced to dump it.
Keith

maplehound
01-28-2007, 09:13 PM
keith,
That is very true, and is just what they told us yeasterday. They want us all to sample our own syrup 3 times a year and send to a privet lab for anlises. The cost per test will be $25 but alot cheaper than dumping 30 gal of syrup ( barrel). I know 2 producers who fell into the 250-500ppb range this year and decided to replace there ss soldered pans and get all ss welded pans. It was an expensive desicion but a necisary one. It was the only place in there operations that they felt they had any lead. This is typical of those who have had a problem this past year. Most have been borderline and probably won't take alot to fix the problem, just aloot of money.

tapper
01-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Are galvenized buckets really that much of a contributor of lead in the syrup? Or is it from the solder in the buckets? Either way how can that much lead end up continually in syrup unless maybe it were naturally occuring?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2007, 09:19 PM
I guess that is the good thing in being in a state where hardly anyone knows how to spell maple syrup is you don't have to put up with this kind of garbage. I in all in favor of doing the correct thing and try to stay proactive, but all of these old pipes cause way more problem than a few galvanized sap buckets.

Dave Y
01-28-2007, 09:27 PM
I think If you reduce the amount of time the sap is in contact withe the galvinzed bucket you probably reduce the amount olead that leaches in to the sap. And it is probably more in the solder.

maplehound
01-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Tapper,
If you are using galvinized buckets, the best thing you can do is empty them every day. any old sap that is left in the bucket during those slow runs really absorbs alot of lead, and will be the biggest contributer of lead in your system. As far as natural ocuring lead, the sap as it flows from the tree in the worst soil conditions won't have enough lead in it to detect. At least that is what was told to us at the meeting. The second biggest contributer is galvinized tanks. At the meeting they sold us at a discount lead testing sticks, that can be purchased at most hardware stores. When you break the vyles inside the chemicals mix and a wick absorbs them. When you wipe it on your bucket or equipment and if lead is detected the stick and the bucket turns red in that spot. There where alot of them sold at the meeting.
I to don't like all this but we are making a food product. We need to do all we can to keep it safe. If just one person is adversly affected by it in any way we will all pay the price.