PDA

View Full Version : breaking out the snowshoes!!

calvertbrothers
02-08-2015, 09:10 PM
I still tying main line in 4 feet of mainline just bought snowshoes at dick's today... some of my main line is under snow just wondering of I should bring up the wire higher or bring a snow shovel? i'm a little bit afraid than this will be a problem because in this section there is hemlocks blocking the sunlight for reaching the mainline to thaw it out. I call it the hemlock bowl because is bowl shaped and is 50 yards deep from the following surrounding area and full of nice hemlock and red maples. The snow really seams to pile up in this area. Is anyone in the same boat? This year will only be the problem because I made a deal with my maple equipment dealer for some hemlock logs. so after the maple season is done with there coming down anyways

BreezyHill
02-08-2015, 10:33 PM
I would spend the time packing the snow. Ran thru the bush today with the snow machines to pack the trails and under and next to the mains. With another foot to come in this storm I will have several areas that will be in the snow until we can get it well packed. Hard to get my long track stuck but I did today. Waste deep off the trails and now it is windy and blowing this fluff around. Fraid its going to get worse before the sap finally runs after looking at the long range.

Good luck!

If you can get a section of 24" or larger plastic culvert pipe they make great rollers to pack the snow. On the trail we weight them as we want to make the trails ferm and the ridges will catch blowing snow.

adk1
02-09-2015, 09:24 PM
I still tying main line in 4 feet of mainline just bought snowshoes at dick's today... some of my main line is under snow just wondering of I should bring up the wire higher or bring a snow shovel? i'm a little bit afraid than this will be a problem because in this section there is hemlocks blocking the sunlight for reaching the mainline to thaw it out. I call it the hemlock bowl because is bowl shaped and is 50 yards deep from the following surrounding area and full of nice hemlock and red maples. The snow really seams to pile up in this area. Is anyone in the same boat? This year will only be the problem because I made a deal with my maple equipment dealer for some hemlock logs. so after the maple season is done with there coming down anywaysi have an area like this in my woods to. One section in particular is only about 12" off the ground!