PDA

View Full Version : Problem mating sunrise syrup pan to existing flue pan

madmapler
02-08-2015, 01:41 PM
I bought a reverse flow set up for my 2.5x10 evaporator from sunrise metal shop and its great except that the float box that comes with it has an inlet height (from the flue pan) thats 2" higher than the existing one. That means 3" of sap minimum(maybe 2.5") over the flues instead of 1". Obviously it was intended for a higher flue than the 6" set up I have. I thought about raising the back pan a little but I do'nt want to scorch the front pan on the back side. Anybody have this problem or know what can be done? How much efficiency would I lose by letting the back pan run deeper? Thanks.

tuckermtn
02-08-2015, 04:42 PM
i think i need a picture to understand...you must have drop flu pan?

NH Maplemaker
02-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Just wondering what they had to say about the problem?

maple flats
02-08-2015, 05:41 PM
It sounds like you got a syrup pan for raised flue but you have drop flue. Call Sunrise for a fix.

madmapler
02-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Its a raised flue with about 6" high flues. The old exit hole that went to the old float box was bored in the side of the pan at the top of the 6" flues. The port for the new float box which is a necessary part of the new draw off system goes into the side of the flue pan 3" above the height of the flues or approx. 9" up the side so thats the lowest level the flue pan can drain to. I'll call John at sunrise tommorow. Hopefully he has an answer. I am just fielding for thoughts from others in case there is'nt one. I've got a ton of things to scratch off my list and at this point I'm going to have to make this thing work somehow. It may be that I'm jumping the gun. I hope so. If not' I'm going to have to get creative.

tuckermtn
02-08-2015, 09:33 PM
I know it is not right, but could you drill a hole lower down on the side of the float box?

madmapler
02-08-2015, 09:48 PM
I know it is not right, but could you drill a hole lower down on the side of the float box?

I would have to take a picture to describe it but it has a stainless elbow that comes out of the top of the stopper thingy and thats what attaches to the flue pan. It isn't even a part of the box itself. If Sunrise can't help me (I'm hoping they have a different float box they can send or modify this one.) Then I'll post pics. Thanks.

madmapler
02-09-2015, 06:36 AM
Just spoke with John at sunrise and they're going to modify the floatbox for me. Thanks for the help.

madmapler
02-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Just an appreciative mention for Sunrise. I sent the floatbox back to them. They modified it(great job) and shipped it back to me within a few days.