PDA

View Full Version : Tree Identification - Basswood or Sugar Maple

ttowle3
02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Winter time. I cannot tell if a few trees are basswood or maple. I can tell the maple but the basswood has fooled me. I cannot get to the twigs to look at. Any tips for a beginner?
I usually can tell the difference but this fall I cut up a fallen tree thinking it was hard maple. I split it and didn't realize until after I put it in the stove that it was basswood due to that spicy smell and lack of good burning.
I took the back of the axe and banged a few of the trees. Maple is a musical wood and it has a better ring than basswood maybe but I cannot be sure as my hearing is not so good either!

Sandersyrup
02-08-2015, 10:15 AM
I assume basswood twigs alternate on the branch. Maple twigs sprout out of the branch at the same place making crosses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuckermtn
02-08-2015, 10:41 AM
basswood typically has bark the "crosses" into the next raised bark ridge, almost like ash...also frequently has bird peck holes ringing the tree.

http://blog.emergencyoutdoors.com/edible-wild-plants-basswood-linden-tiliaceae-edible-wild-chocolate-substitute/

way softer wood than maple, and yes twigs are alternate...

maple flats
02-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Maple twigs branch opposite, however you need to look at the higher (finer ) twigs because more often than not, one gets broken off. Use bino's if necessary. Basswood never branches opposite.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
02-08-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure bass wood bark flakes off, where a hard maple bark is will not. Rub your hand down the bark. If lots of flakes and pieces come off, it is Bass. If hardly anything comes off, it is likely a maple.

Ben

Clarkfield Farms
02-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Basswood twigs arch backwards, sort of, and the buds are red & usually larger (maybe 3X) than maple buds even through the winter. I don't know how better to describe it but it works perfectly well for me.

dblact38
02-08-2015, 03:15 PM
There is a book out there called "Bark" by Michael Wojtech, Its a field guide to trees of the Northeast. Its a great book to Id trees, if you could get your hands on it

S&STappers
02-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Sent a pic of some basswood bark branches. Maple on left, 2 bass on right. Hope it helps

syrup2make
02-26-2015, 09:17 PM
the veins in the bark of a basswood run in a fairly vertical line. hard maple veining is random, also gray moss only grows on the maple. I compare the bark on maple to scabbed cells.