PDA

View Full Version : One Sugar Maple and One Black Walnut Tapped Yesterday

splendid
02-07-2015, 04:58 PM
My first year. These are just to take notes on. I will be tapping mostly Black Walnut as that's my most plentiful tree, potentiallly 120 taps or so.

Is it okay to do it real early like I did yesterday and wait, or does the hole lose freshness?

steel tap syrup
02-08-2015, 07:07 AM
I pretty much only do Black Walnut. It is to early your holes will start to heal themselves before the big flows. I don't start to drill till the first of March. I have had very good luck with Walnut and everyone loves it.

Ausable
02-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Many years ago - We lived in the Trenton - Grosse Ile area of Southern Michigan. We would gather Black Walnuts for the nut meats to use in baking cookies - as it gave them a unique taste and we received favorable comments. I must admit - getting nut meats from a Black Walnut is a lot of work - but hey! we were young. Does the Black Walnut Syrup have that wonderful - one of a kind taste - that the black walnuts have? ---Mike---

splendid
03-07-2015, 06:13 PM
I'll let you know about the flavor; I haven't had any yet. As for the nuts, I have one spectacular tree that puts out jumbo nuts like no other. I am trying to propagate it this spring with cuttings and grafts. We're talking nuts with shells nearly 2" across which crack open to easily retrieved quarters.