PDA

View Full Version : well pump inside releaser- false advertising

claytski
02-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Hi,

I was told by a handful of customers that called in recently that they sat through a Lapierre seminar that explained deep well pumps should not be used in releasers. Naturally this alarms people and they develop questions. We have been producing equipment and custom releasers for years. Matter of fact the first well pump we used inside a releaser has been in operation for over 10 years, more like 15. We have a deep well pump in our lower tank house that sits in a round bottom tank to pump sap to the sugar house that has been in operation for 31 years. We have had no issues what so ever.

The plumbing supply houses and Lapierre speakers will tell you that the literature says not to have the pump in a horizontal position. I unpack a half dozen pumps a week, and this time of year lots more. Each one has a manual and just recently I picked one up to see if there was suggestions to prohibit laying a pump down. I have attached a picture directly from the manual stating that it is ok and allowed to lay the pump down. You are not allowed to position the pump head below horizontal however.

I wanted to let everyone know this as at this time we feel the deep well pump is the best pump for our application. Other submersible pumps use oil to lube the shafts and under high vacuum those seals become compromised and fail. I personally know a hand full of people that have seen oil sheens on their tanks from the seal going. The proof is in the pudding.

markct
02-06-2015, 08:22 PM
I am curious about the oil issue, I thought most deep well pumps had oil in the motor, but maybe only some brands or types, how do we know which?

claytski
02-07-2015, 07:21 AM
I only use a Goulds motor inside the releaser because the Goulds motors have non toxic Propylene Glycol that is volatile where the oil in other types of pumps sticks around. There may be other motors that use the same formulation, I just haven't taken the time to explore.

DoubleBrookMaple
02-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Other submersible pumps use oil to lube the shafts and under high vacuum those seals become compromised and fail. I personally know a hand full of people that have seen oil sheens on their tanks from the seal going. The proof is in the pudding. I just tested my electric releaser I made with a submersible, a Dayton, with a Franklin motor. Do you know if these are subject to failure?

Thanks..

P.S. I am not surprised on the Goulds... One cannot go wrong with a Goulds. I just happened on my Dayton pump.