PDA

View Full Version : pneumatic pump on pancake compressor?

johnallin
02-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Are any of you using a pancake compressor to run an air diaphragm pump for your filter press? Just bought a Leader 5 bank Clear Press with a pneumatic pump.

Directions say the pump needs 4 cfm at 50 lbs. -the 6 gal porter cable I have, will run the pump with no load - but I've got no idea what happens when it has to start pumping syrup, let alone how to calculate what the cfm is at 50 lbs.

Getting antsy to get started over here...thanks for any input.

The 12" Siro Press is still for sale by the way. $1195 - OBO and like new.

markct
02-06-2015, 04:48 PM
under load will pump slower thus take less cfm usualy

brookledge
02-06-2015, 05:28 PM
You should be able to get that info from the manufactuers web site. Most all cfm ratings whether an air compressor or vacuum pump are rated at free flow. or zero "hg or zero psi. Then the ratings drop as you put a load on them. Many times a compressors will have open flow, 50 psi, and 100 psi ratings or some other values.
Keith

tuckermtn
02-07-2015, 04:42 PM
this is the compressor I use with our Warren-Rupp air pump.

keeps up just fine, though it runs pretty constant when pumping hot syrup.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00889ZYPQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687782&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00889ZYD8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QKDSRWB4SPNRBXEYST3

johnallin
02-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Thank you Eric, that looks like just the ticket.

Especially like the fact that it's quieter than my porter cable. Have you had any issues with it, would you buy it again?

Thanks again, John

tuckermtn
02-08-2015, 09:52 AM
i would definitely buy again. we have it tucked under our sink and use a spring loaded hose reel for the air hose (reg. air gun air hose is hard to coil and my wheelchair wheels get tangled in it, PITA)

only had to replace filter/petcock fitting by regulator because i think it froze with some moisture in it...my fault.

while it is quieter (you can have a conversation while it is running in same room) it is not library quiet by any means...

johnallin
02-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Thank you. It's never very quiet in our sugar house - too many kids - so library level won't be a concern.