PDA

View Full Version : Copper Pot

JWB27
02-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Last year was my first year and I used a 24" diameter copper pot on top of a steel barrel.
Syrup came out very clear and tasted great.
Any concerns using a copper pot vs. stainless steel or aluminium.

Same pot was brought over from Holland and used to boil sap by both my Grandfather and my Father, figured I would continue using it.

brookledge
02-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Copper is better than Aluminum. There was a time when you could get copper pans with your new evaporator. Mostly back in the day when English tin was the norm though. The best thing that I can say about either is that when you let sap set in the pans it will eat at the pan causing small amounts of the metal to leach out. I wouldn't worry to much as long as you don't let it sit very long. Then as time allows shop around for a stainless one that will fit your barrell
Keith

Sugarmaker
02-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Last year was my first year and I used a 24" diameter copper pot on top of a steel barrel.
Syrup came out very clear and tasted great.
Any concerns using a copper pot vs. stainless steel or aluminium.

Same pot was brought over from Holland and used to boil sap by both my Grandfather and my Father, figured I would continue using it.

I would keep using it until you wanted to enlarge your operation. Copper will work just fine. Great family maple syrup story that you can pass down to other family members. Post a picture of your set up.
Regards,
Chris