PDA

View Full Version : Storing Syrup in freezer?

Marvel26
02-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Trying to figure out how I am going to safely store the bounty this year....last year wasn't an issue, I think the kids injected the stuff directly into their veins! And we didn't have much.

This year has potential for 20 gallons or so. I don't really have the capacity to heat 5gal at a time to 180+ without risking more niter ppt at the bottom of the pot....can I store filtered cold syrup in a seal-able bucket in the freezer until I choose to bottle it in smaller batches?

The process I was thinking was draw off through a cone filter with prefilters directly into a clean 5 gal seal-able food grade bucket when I get what I get at the end of the day (hopefully 4-5gal), seal it and put it in the freezer until I can bottle it. It wouldn't be safe for storage at room temp but its at -20C.....

Thanks

Rob

ronintank
02-05-2015, 02:14 PM
I stored mine in the freezer works great.
I used 1 gallon plastic jars and just get a jar out when needed and then store in in the fridge until its used up.

Sugarmaker
02-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Rob,
That will work perfect! We store 50-80 gallon in freezer each season. And then can it up when needed. If your going to use it yourself you don't even need to re-can it.
Regards,
Chris

Ausable
02-05-2015, 02:54 PM
My Hero ------ Rink Mann - Author of "Backyard Sugarin" -- said in his book - that he stored maple syrup in coffee cans in a freezer. I have never done this - but - if You have the freezer space - why wouldn't it work?

maple flats
02-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Perfect. The syrup will not freeze, but it gets thick, "like molasses...". In fact I put an insert in every shipment I send out, telling my customers to pour some in a container to use the next 4-6 weeks and store the rest in the freezer.
The freezer is a perfect place to store syrup.

K.I. Joe
02-05-2015, 04:58 PM
I store in a big chest freezer in 5 gallon pails and bottle when needed, works great

Marvel26
02-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Excellent!

This will make things much easier storage-wise

Father & Son
02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
I store in a freezer in 2 1/2 gallon containers I get at a bee keeping outfit called Mann Lake.
Easier to handle than 5 gallons

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeeping-supplies/product/CN-177.html

Jim