PDA

View Full Version : Greenhorn and used Barrels

epd0407
02-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Hi all, my first post however I have been trolling for a good amount of time. This is my first year and am under the watchful eye of a very experienced sugarmaker about 30 miles away.

As any noob would be doing, this past year I have been gathering my supplies and running tubing. Im at about 160 taps but now you guys have me all freaked out with a prior thread on used barrels.

I got my hands on 10 white 55 gallon food grade white barrels which were used for mountain dew flavoring. I washed the heck out of them when I got them and ran a sanitizer I use for another part of my business around them, labeled them as maple to appease the neighbors and then put them out to wait. I did make note that the smell was probably a 6 or 7 out of 10 after my washes. BTW, I turned them on their sides and cut a 5 gallon bucket size hole and plugged it with a 5 gallon bucket (which I have almost an unlimited supply of).

Now reading a prior thread on people using used soda buckets you have me all freaked out that anything I make this first year will be off taste.

Ive now taken them back into the house and the first one is soaking with baking soda solution in the tub. Admittedly the smell is more of a 2 or 3 out of ten.

Is it your collective opinion im going to have an issue with these drums?

Ausable
02-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Hey epd0407! - Welcome aboard Maple Trader. I'm a Hobby Maple Syrup Maker and can identify with Your concerns. Two of my sap storage barrels were used for dill pickles in a previous lifetime. The others were used for different foods and not a problem. But - the pickle barrels were a challenge. I washed and air dried them several times and still the pickle smell - But - The Kids and Grandkids hauled up three hundred gallons of sap and I used them for sap storage. Odd thing - No smell or taste carried over to the maple syrup. Now they have no odor. All my storage barrels have removable top lids - so - I can clean and dry them at the end of the season. OK - Now that I have told You what I do - The Experts will all chime in and tell You Danger - Danger - Danger. Weigh what You hear and make a responsible - common sense decision. Good Luck this Season. ---Mike---

TerryEspo
02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Hello EPD:

Welcome to posting at Maple Trader, great reading here isn't it.

A couple seasons ago I bought food grade barrels that previously had pickled peppers in them, man could you smell them from 10ft away with the lids off. I did the wash thing with vinegar, baking soda, even took them to the local "YOU WASH, CAR WASH" to blast them on rinse cycle. I said a CSI team could not find a trace of pickles, BUT,,, after they dried a faint aroma was still around, but only if I replaced the lids. I then left them open to the air and DID use them for sap a couple weeks later and was just fine. You would never know pickle was ever in the barrels, not then and not now.

I say give them a very good wash, vinegar and water, then maybe a baking soda with water , then a double/triple rinse,,,, let them air dry and keep the lids off until you need to put lids on. Don't forget the wash the lids the same as the barrels.

I say you will be fine. I want to add that I never left sap in my barrels for days on end, overnight at best.

Good luck and use them.

Terry

Goggleeye
02-04-2015, 07:50 PM
I'd have to echo Terry and Mike. I've used pickle buckets, and I currently am using barrels that had gherkins in vinegar, I've never noticed any flavor carryover. I'd use them without concern.

Tor Haxson
02-04-2015, 08:11 PM
I have heard that the sanitizer used for brewing and winemaking will remove odors. I have yet to test that , I assume they meant the one-step sanitizer.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/review/product/list/id/3144/category/19/

Worth a try ?

epd0407
02-05-2015, 06:07 PM
Thanks everyone.

I washed the hell out of them again this time with baking soda and then with bleach. I did get the brewers stuff but el teacher says dont worry about it so im going to take the leap of faith. I have way too many other things I can focus my attention to this close to my inaugural season. :)

Greenthumb
02-05-2015, 07:11 PM
You Should be fine. I did by a food grade barrel liner from us plastics that I will be using in one of my 55 gallon barrels that had mint flavoring in. I've washed many times and i still smell mint and don't want to risk mint sap. Although I did think of bottling mint sap water and selling to the yuppies.

NhShaun
02-06-2015, 10:25 AM
I have the same issue with my 55 gallon storage tank. Washed with vinegar and baking soda several times. Even soaked with Powdered brewery wash overnight and then washed again with baking soda. Still a mild pickle smell. But after reading this thread, i might just used it anyway! Thanks.

The thought of mint syrup does sound somewhat different, i might try and make a small jar.

Flat47
02-06-2015, 01:17 PM
You Should be fine. I did by a food grade barrel liner from us plastics that I will be using in one of my 55 gallon barrels that had mint flavoring in. I've washed many times and i still smell mint and don't want to risk mint sap. Although I did think of bottling mint sap water and selling to the yuppies.

I'm not familiar with the 1Step stuff, but I used Powdered Brewer's Wash in all of my used barrels, brew pots, Stanley thermoses and more with great results. Here's the stuff:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/powdered-brewery-wash.html?gclid=COWYzOuDzsMCFRAjgQodCLkAtQ

If you Google around you can find a DIY clone of PBW using Oxyclean and some other stuff. Says to be alot cheaper.

schellmaple
02-07-2015, 05:31 AM
I have three white food grade 35 gallon barrels that had soda flavoring in them. I washed them all out good and soaked them with bleach. I am still getting a little smell to them. I soaked with hot water over night and I couldn't taste any off taste to the water. I was wanting to use these for syrup storage or do you think its a bad idea?

Flat47
02-07-2015, 04:09 PM
I have three white food grade 35 gallon barrels that had soda flavoring in them. I washed them all out good and soaked them with bleach. I am still getting a little smell to them. I soaked with hot water over night and I couldn't taste any off taste to the water. I was wanting to use these for syrup storage or do you think its a bad idea?

Now do an overnight soak of vinegar/water mix, then plenty of rinsing. Should be good to go if you don't smell or taste anything.