PDA

View Full Version : Attaching mainline lateral wire...

butler
02-04-2015, 12:59 PM
How do attach new piece of high tensile wire.. To existing high tensile wire.
I have a mainline of 3/4" and I want to add a another extension lateral of 3/4" line ... How do I attach new wire to existing one?
Sorry if this sounds confusing....

TrentonMaple
02-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Google "blood knot" for an illustration of joining them together. It's simple and incredibly strong.

rhwells2003
02-04-2015, 01:48 PM
I just googled that blood knot. Is it hard to do that with high tensile wire? Does it cinch up tight with the high tensile wire when you tension it? Good looking knot

wiam
02-04-2015, 02:04 PM
I would not connect to existing wire. I would attach another wire same tree that old wire ends on.

maple flats
02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
If extending, I do what wiam says, but when I need to add onto a length of high tensile I use crimp sleeves and a crimp tool. It may seem costly at first, but before you use it several times while installing new mains or repairing lines and it quickly becomes an great tool. I don't know if 2 are necessary, but I use 2 crimps on all joints. The only time it ever got tested, my wet/dry conductors had a large tree come down on them and the crimps held, pulling a 6" elm tree that they were side tied to enough that it bent enough to allow the conductors to touch the ground, most of my side ties are 14 ga but this one was HT sidetied. The double crimps held. Here's a link: http://www.kencove.com/fence/70_Crimp+Tool+Usage_resource.php TSC has the sleeves rather cheap when bought in 100 pk. or even the 25 pk. I use #2 on 12.5 HT wire.

mellondome
02-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Quick and easy way is to use a gripple.. no tools needed. Will take longer to cut the wire than attach
http://www.kencove.com/fence/Gripple+Medium_detail_CGM.php

butler
02-04-2015, 04:42 PM
What if I am inserting a stainless Y into my 3/4" main and my 3/4" lateral goes on an angle from the HT wire ... Can I still use the gripple

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Are you adding on to an existing line or Ying off an existing line? If Ying off, your lateral line wire should be completely separate from your mainline wire.

butler
02-04-2015, 05:15 PM
So when running a new lateral main off of the original main start a new HT wire ?

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Yes! Have the lateral line wire cross above your mainline wire by a few inches and you can angle the sideline down to the Y. You may be able to use the natural curve in the pipe.

wiam
02-04-2015, 07:01 PM
So when running a new lateral main off of the original main start a new HT wire ?

Yes. Hook to a tree on the other side of first main line.

BreezyHill
02-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Gallagher High Tensile Fencing recommends the square or some call it a reef knot. On 12 ga wire it has a breaking strength of 20% less than what the original wire had.

If you j hook into a tree for a wire terminal end and use a tubing grip on the added tubing you can have a loose end to cut to length and attached to the Y. I can get you a pic of a new setup done this way if you desire. Just installed in a couple of weeks ago. Y goes into a valley in the bush while the other main goes around the knoll on the other side.

I would not use the blood knot on high tensile as good wire is designed to bend on its diameter over time the two diameters will weaken and break. The reef knot can be done in under 10 seconds from two straight ends. Much quicker than crimps...owned that tool about two jobs and gave it away, to slow.

Half blood knot is good for the terminal end onto a J hook. good holding strength around the diameter of the hook.

Ben

Sterling Maple
02-04-2015, 09:36 PM
I buy a spiral wire that is made by Preformed Line Products. Wrap the pair around the wire and go. It takes about 2 minutes and have never had one slip. Further the splice ends up only about twice the size of the wire. You can get on line or agricultural stores for $1.50 each. Make sure you know your wire size

jason grossman
02-05-2015, 06:17 PM
I have used the helical wire splices in my tubing installations for years now and it is the fastest and strongest way to end wire or splice it. I also distribute them for preform line. I have them for any size wire you want to use. I also have dead ends that are used on the end of the wire if you use hooks. Once I install these for customers the never go back to gripples or crimps. I would never trust tying wire together to hold the tension I put on my mainline wire. I also only use 9ga. High carbon wire. If you are interested you can pm me.

ksmeagher
02-10-2015, 05:21 AM

We are using gal. wire ties here (Cumberland county NS) they are about $3.00 a pc. one for anchoring at the tree looped in the center back on it self and 2 for splicing two wires together.