PDA

View Full Version : season predictions

boondocker
02-04-2015, 08:45 AM
Just wonderingot what your thoughts where on this season. The crazy Temps all over the place, all the rain we had this fall and now weeks of subzero Temps and 4 plus feet of snow. I am kind of wondering myself what may happen here. I do know at this rate it is going to take a solid couple of days in the 40+ to get my trees to let loosen up. Maybe I'm over thinking things but was just wondering what everybody else is thinking.

DrTimPerkins
02-04-2015, 09:27 AM
Just wonderingot what your thoughts where on this season.

I am thinking that the season will eventually come, the sap will flow, syrup will be made, and we'll know how it turned out by the end of April.

relseek
02-04-2015, 09:28 AM
I am thinking that the season will eventually come, the sap will flow, syrup will be made, and we'll know how it turned out by the end of April.
See, thats why they pay you the BIG bucks.:lol:

DrTimPerkins
02-04-2015, 10:31 AM
See, thats why they pay you the BIG bucks.:lol:

Right....so when are those big bucks supposed to arrive?

mapleguy
02-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Where I work they tell me I make the big bucks too, but that always comes from the owners. Ha! Anyway my prediction for the season is ,it all depends on the weather. Be patient.

bees1st
02-04-2015, 05:48 PM
I sure am liking all this snow on the ground at this point . I was concerned that we may start the season with little snow in the woods . Seems like more of a chance we would have at least an average season with some snow pack .

Aaron Roy
02-06-2015, 12:35 PM
I predict lots of putting on show shoes to check the sugar bush. Last year was my first and I am concerned about overloaded by sap. I understand it is not a huge problem to have I just do not want to over flow my buckets during the day when I am at work.

West Sumner Sugar
02-12-2015, 08:40 PM
I predict we will be tapping June 1st and maple Sunday will be postponed till the 4th of July. :) Hard to think that this weekend last year we were tapping. Gonna take a good swing in the weather pattern to get things going. Some of our maples have 5-6 feet of snow around them.

Mitchman
02-21-2015, 05:41 AM
I'm a newbee to maple trader, very small operation tucked in the western mts. of Carrabassett Valley, or Sugarloaf Mt. 5 to 6 ft of snow around our maples also. 20 buckets and 60+ tree's on gravity. Hi All

abbott
02-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Welcome to Maple Trader, Mitchman.

There's a lot of similarities this winter to last. Last year, the problem was that March was too cold and April warmed up too fast when spring came. Of course, last year it looked like time to tap right about now and this year it doesn't. But that's a good thing. I'd prefer it stay cold into March, then have a month of sapping whether. Let's hope. I'll be getting everything ready in the next week and start tapping when the seven day looks good.

Predictions? The sugar content will be high but the syrup will average out darker than normal. We've been on an every other year pattern, so I'm going to go ahead and say we're due for a good one.