PDA

View Full Version : Re-Using Cracker Barrell bottles

waldo320
02-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Well I am getting married and for the favors I would like to make small bottles of syrup around 1.5oz. I have a family member that works at Cracker Barrel and said they sometime collect the used syrup containers if someone's asks for them. I understand how to sanitize glass container but not sure on the plastic lids.

Does anyone know where I could get new lids or if I sterilize them I should be ok?

Thanks

ericjeeper
02-02-2015, 10:37 AM
You will need to order some new lids. Once the lids have been used, the seal is crushed.

markct
02-02-2015, 10:38 AM
The small nip bottles are like .60 cents a piece with the lids, hardly worth washing sterilizing and buying new lids if you can find the proper lids to fit anyhow. And I wouldn't recommend reusing the lids as they usualy have a paper or wax seal in them

waldo320
02-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the input going new seems to save a lot of hassles!

markct
02-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Theres a lot of neat glass available like the maple leaves and even heart bottles, I assume you have a Bascom catalog? Not sure how new to sugaring you are but they have a great selection. I did over 100 maple leaf bottles for a friends wedding this fall and everyone loved them

waldo320
02-05-2015, 09:19 AM
After looking through the basscom website I think I found a bottle that will work! Thanks

DaveB
02-05-2015, 10:55 AM
How do you guys fill these bottles and maintain the proper temperature or prevent spilling? I tried to do these a long time ago and with the exception of small batches, I won't do them because I had a hard time filling them without spilling them and it was slow going.

wiam
02-05-2015, 11:07 AM
I fill small stuff right out of my canning tank. I have a coffe put spout that has been drilled out with a 2/8 pex connector soldered into it.

On my newer set up I fill with my homemade filler that is similar to Leader's fill stop.