PDA

View Full Version : new homemade arch

ronintank
02-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I started this project Friday cutting stock and finished the fabrication today Superbowl Sunday.
The main pan is flat batch 30 x 61 x 8 inches deep, there will be a preheat pan on the upper level.
Just have to cut and fit the ceramic blanket and brick the fire box.
There will be a fan under the fire.

TerryEspo
02-01-2015, 08:36 PM
From what I see in the two pics it looks very nice. Not a regular pan size so I ask what pan you have ? Is that a regular made pan or custom?
My first year I used a sink from a commercial dishwasher, stainless and was like 18" x 58", odd size but worked just fine.

I like your preheat area up top, nice job.

Good luck this season.

Terry

ronintank
02-01-2015, 09:37 PM
The pan is mild steel also home made. The hand brake we have will bend a max of 61 length. The 30 inch width is the max for a 48 width sheet 30 width 8 inch sides and a 1 inch lip.
The last 2 years I have used a 55 gallon drum arch that was built in an evening and rebuilt, improved,fixed after every boil.

optionguru
02-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Nice step-up from the drum. I've been on a 4 year upgrade saga myself, started with an oil tank and steam table pans. Finally found a more "real" pan and I'm building an arch to fit. 10557

ronintank
02-11-2015, 05:25 AM
Adding a few more pictures.
I have the blanket and fire bricks installed and 1 coat of paint on the outer surface.
Need to get another coat of paint and the weather to break so we can start the new season.

ronintank
02-11-2015, 05:37 AM
A couple pics from autocad design program.

NhShaun
02-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Nice build! The wheels are a nice feature as well. How do you think the steel on the inside of the firebox walls will hold up?

ronintank
02-11-2015, 09:52 AM
the steel I used were scrap blanks from a project at work 13 ga. mild steel .089 thick.
the fire box area has the 1" ceramic blanket from the bottom to the top with the half brick fire brick 2/3 of the way up to protect the blanket.
I formed a brick holding cage with 10 ga. expanded metal.
Its the brick cage I think will wilt from the heat.
I just am not ready to cement in the bricks as of yet and we have plenty of the expanded metal drops as scrap
I will cement in the bricks after the season has ended and any modifications have been made.
Thinking I may add a AOF fan and ducts.
I don't have a sugar shack built yet and boil out the back door of my pole barn
with the wheels I can roll it into the corner of my pole barn for off season storage.

beaglebriar
02-11-2015, 08:06 PM
I like the red paint. It makes 'er look fast!

ronintank
02-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Wait till I get the chrome rims on it.